Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I pressed a few truck-pucks (squeeze clamped to form between paper and 2 silver dollars, then parked the truck on em for about 5 hours) almost a year ago with plenty of 515, a bit of 707, some PS latakia, and a smattering from my stash of McC stoved black lemon VA. I'm sure a pinch of another VA Cavendish would work the same, especially since I used very little.
Waiting until the end of September to try them out since that'll mark a year since they were jarred.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I pressed a few truck-pucks (squeeze clamped to form between paper and 2 silver dollars, then parked the truck on em for about 5 hours) almost a year ago with plenty of 515, a bit of 707, some PS latakia, and a smattering from my stash of McC stoved black lemon VA. I'm sure a pinch of another VA Cavendish would work the same, especially since I used very little.
Waiting until the end of September to try them out since that'll mark a year since they were jarred.
Never occurred to me to use a vehicle. That’s pretty clever.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Never occurred to me to use a vehicle. That’s pretty clever.
So, I saw someone talking smack about US crumble cakes and how someone probably just put a bunch of tobacco between two sheets of plywood and parked the delivery truck on it. I thought, that's freaking genius! He may have been disparaging US made plugs, but a good idea is a good idea!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I really enjoyed Watch City Simply Red and Watch City Rhythm & Blues today. Both were quite smooth and very delicious. If I had to pick one, then I would recommend the Rhythm & Blues. Sadly, it appears that both are currently out of stock at the moment.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve become pretty enamored with Sutliff 515 RC-1, and I’d like to use it in a crumble cake. I’m about to build a jack screw press to make kydex holsters and sheaths, so it can double as a tobacco press. Anyone got a home recipe that utilizes some tangy, citrusy reds?
the Sutliff Red VA Crumble Kake is great. though already a crumble kake.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve not tried that one yet, but I’ll try to remember to add some to my next order.
It's really good.. but it wouldn't surprise me if it was 515RC-1 cut into fishfood flakes and pressed.
Might be worth a try though to at least check it out.

I smoke through the tin pretty fast.. so for the money for me, the 515RC-1 is the way to go.
I believe the tins are also only 1.5g as opposed to 1.75 like most.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
It's really good.. but it wouldn't surprise me if it was 515RC-1 cut into fishfood flakes and pressed.

I smoke through the tin pretty fast.. so for the money for me, the 515RC-1 is the way to go.
I did a back to back yesterday and found the Crumble Kake FAR more rich and flavored. I had assumed they'd be nearly identical, but they weren't. Both are from '18, so I'm discarding age as being a factor. The CK had an amazing vinegar smell the bulk was missing, as well.

It is a bummer about that 1.5 oz tin.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I’ve become pretty enamored with Sutliff 515 RC-1, and I’d like to use it in a crumble cake. I’m about to build a jack screw press to make kydex holsters and sheaths, so it can double as a tobacco press. Anyone got a home recipe that utilizes some tangy, citrusy reds?

I've never heard of Red Virginia being referred to as "citrusy," but then, everyone's chemical makeup is as different as their fingerprints. The really good ones have a deeply tart and sweet taste to me. A ripe red like what you'll find in 40th Anniversary by McClelland's and the McCranie's vintage Red Flakes are to die for, IMO.

If you have some ribbon or flake Red Virginia of high quality that is loaded up with sugar content, I'd chop it up really good and then press it under a commercial grade press and let it sit for six months in either a mason jar or commercial grade vacuum sealed bag. You should have a tasty Krumble Kake in no time.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've never heard of Red Virginia being referred to as "citrusy," but then, everyone's chemical makeup is as different as their fingerprints. The really good ones have a deeply tart and sweet taste to me.
Yeah, Sutliff 515 RC-1 is the only one I can recall tasting that I would describe that way. Almost like sour orange to me. Usually I get a stone fruit and caramel vibe from good reds.

Reactions: ofafeather

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I did a back to back yesterday and found the Crumble Kake FAR more rich and flavored. I had assumed they'd be nearly identical, but they weren't. Both are from '18, so I'm discarding age as being a factor. The CK had an amazing vinegar smell the bulk was missing, as well.

It is a bummer about that 1.5 oz tin.
The bulk is usually very vinegary...
had it dried out?

but yes the crumble kake is a bit stronger/fuller, with a deeper flavor.

I just meant the crumble kake could be the same leaf as the bulk, but prepared differently and pressed into a kake.

Reactions: ofafeather

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

alright thanks alot for giving me another reason to spend money.