PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The only place I can smoke while having a walk, in the comfort of my home or garden and at work at the smoking area. I try to be as courteous as possible, my habits are mine and I should not bother anyone with them. I'm fine with those options as I like to be alone when smoking, but I think it's absurd to prohibit smoking in a cigar lounge which is prohibited now or smoking in bars. What I'm more worried about is the anti tobacco sentiment which might make it prohibited one day. Maybe I won't live that long that I would see it happen, but still it is a possibility.
I don't know. People bother me all the time with their 'legal' habits;e.g-screaming nose-blowing toddlers in coffee shops, loud cell-phone conversations directly in my ear when I'm sitting at a bar or eating in a restaurant, that are much more discourteous than my smoking a pipe while passing them on a walk. The exception is when I'm walking across the local University campus, where I would like to smoke my pipe, but don't.

I also fear negative interactions with the 'tobacco police', but no more than I fear negative interactions in a tobacco discussion forum.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I don't know. People bother me all the time with their 'legal' habits;e.g-screaming nose-blowing toddlers in coffee shops, loud cell-phone conversations directly in my ear when I'm sitting at a bar or eating in a restaurant, that are much more discourteous than my smoking a pipe while passing them on a walk.
Your examples are in the same way discourtious and don't belong in any social environment to my opinion (same as I think smoking in a restaurant should not come back), but are way more accepted somehow and that's the big difference for smokers. Smoking has become way less socialy acceptable in general (exceptions are there as usual) and that's something we as smokers have to account to. For me there is no other option than to smoke while being outside or in on my own property and I think we'll have to do everything to keep that that way without it being banned on the street. Politicians are what they are, will do whatever they want whenever they want and Karen will complain anyway, but doing everything you can in your own power to not get it to a smoking ban in some way is the least we can do. As smokers we have to understand our position and to me we are for sure the underdogs.

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
I think I am lost in finding the logic of the differing groups. Whichever group you choose, pro product or pro govt or anti-product or anti-govt, you have to have real facts not assumptions and speculation. Every product can be bad if you consume two 55 gallon drums of it in one sitting ! (Except Old Toby!)
I guess in the end I am against anti-thinking and anti-logic ... ie: anti- 'Bereft of reason. '
But then ... I am 'relatively' old !;):ROFLMAO:
Well said ?

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Unless it's explicitly illegal, I smoke where I want. It's not like a pipe in my mouth is hidden from view. If people don't want to smell the smoke, they are free to go around me.

Reactions: TheWhale13

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
My favorite place to smoke is the back yard up on the deck or down on a patio but that is 4-5 months out of the year at the most. This week is the first week of this year I've been out here.

Locally I have never had anyone say anything to me about smoking in a park or out for a lunt. Public events often provide areas for smoking where I live even in these times. I'd rather walk a bit and get away from the cigarette smokers. In this local you are just as likely to see somebody pull a chunk of tobacco out of a lip and toss it to the ground or spit a big stain on the ground, sidewalks included. It doesn't bother me but I've seen some looks of complete revulsion when this happens. :LOL:

Outside smoking a pipe I just don't give it much thought I guess.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I really enjoying smoking when I’m on the trail or in the woods, but there are rarely others nearby. Walking in the neighborhood seems acceptable. Occasionally, I get a compliment about the aroma, as it often reminds folks of their dad or uncle or grandfather.