PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For me, it's Tropic Thunder, Idiocracy, Apocalypse Now, Demolition Man, The Bourne Identity and Repo Man.
Ohwait... pipe videos. Anyone got any favorites?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That's an instant classic.
I dug this one, in a How It's Made kind of way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RqsWxoDirI

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Both excellent vids, though editing could be used to good effect on the long one.
I repeat my plea for someone to post links to informative and/or amusing pipe vids that are ideally less than three minutes. Five max.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Five minutes max, do you only smoke mini-cobs?
The length of an informative video need bear no correlation to the length of time one might smoke a bowl! But you knew that!
It's appalling that there are so few videos that have been edited for content and length.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I tend to do stuff when I'm smoking, like reading or thinking. But really my problem with videos is I'm just bad at video. There is no other explanation. I have trouble sitting through movies, hated MTV, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How do you not have the patience to watch a 10 minute video, but do have the patience for a 40 minute bowl?
As DM said, other things are going on when I smoke a bowl. I have the "patience" to watch a two hour movie if it's good. Is this that hard for you to comprehend, that quality trumps quantity?

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Not specifically stating that my videos are quality - but as I made videos (3 years on YT) I changed how I made them. I make them mainly for me. So I appreciate a short video if my eyes are needed (2-10 minutes). Chat videos could be longer but of course informative or someone I have grown to like over three years. Specific vids did u check out the Per Jensen vids?? I bring an aged tin to Chicago every year for him to open and discuss the blend (at least the last 2 years and for the next 3)

Diabeticman, there's something to be said about making things that suit yourself. You're work may be closer to being real art, because of this. That's commendable. I've gotten to a point in my own career that I can now do this also. But, it reduces your audience. Not giving in to expectations, the norm, the same things everyone else is doing, but it can get you exactly the audience that you want. Sometimes being true to your own whim can give you closer followers, not vast, but exactly the people who need to hear what your message is.

Keep on making!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
. Is this that hard for you to comprehend, that quality trumps quantity?
Guess we'll agree to disagree, because I love hearing people discuss pipes and blends. Doesn't matter to me what the lighting is like, what camera they use, what mic they use, how they edit it, if they edit it. As long as they're passionate about the subject and giving an honest opinion I'm all game to listen/watch while I enjoy a bowl.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I see no real disagreement: You like it one way, I another. I am certainly not saying your way is somehow wrong.
But I maintain that the majority of Youtube how to's could be vastly shortened to reach a wider audience. That's hardly limited to pipe vids!

Status
Not open for further replies.