PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I guess I like the Calabash shape best, but I have so many of everything else, it's really academic for me to choose one. Don't really care of the acorn or the ukulele, or the pot. The only pot I have is a Brigham, and I only bought it because it was great deal and I wanted to try that rock maple filter thing. It's a good pipe, but I don't care to look at it, lol.

frank

Lurker
Oct 17, 2011
Mostly straight pipes, though I am fond of slightly bent pipes (and/or bent stems), like authors, princes, and a particular pre-Grabow Linkman's Hollycourt 8833 which somewhat resembles the old, fuller-figured Peterson 999s.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
I am with you Philip, I love the bent bulldog although i like my straight meerschaum. I do find myself looking at it a lot while it is in my mouth and i get cross eyed. 8O

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Knowing that I'm reviving a four day old posting, I just want to ask if anyone else appreciates the "author" shaped pipe? I didn't see that anyone mentioned this shape at all. And that's a shame, because it's a great shape and so close to the bent bulldog that many of you said you prefer.
I had been aware of them for a long while, but never bothered to try one myself. I always thought they looked kinda in-between. You know, in-between a rhodesian and a bulldog, or a bull moose. Maybe even a tomato.
Then a couple years ago read one of Gregg Pease's articles on the Comoy 256 shape, or Author. I really enjoyed the article. So much so, that I started looking for one myself.

I wasn't able to find one for sale at the time, but I did come across a picture of one that Mark Tinsky had made for a pipe club at one time. It looked like a nice representation, so I contacted him and had him make me one with a dark finish. It arrived quickly and I have been enjoying it a lot since.
Greg's piece went into detail about all the benefits that this shape offered, and in the end he came to the conclussion that it just was a "comfortable" pipe to handle.
My Tinsky version is a little straighter than the Comoy Greg wrote about, but I find it is a very comfortable shape. I would even say that if I had to find one word to describe it, it would be "smooth".

From the feel, the handling, to the smoking of this pipe, it is just one smooth piece.
Also Greg's article mentioned that the shape usually isn't done that well, because it's hard to get the mortise and the floor of the mortise aligned properly, and that the pipe might develop condensation in that area. But this pipe was evidentaly done right, because it smokes great with little or no gurgle.
So if you have never tried this shape, the next time you have a chance to pick one up, don't be put off the shape like I was at first. It really is a very comfortable pipe to smoke
Tinsky Author Cabernet

TinskyAuthor001.jpg

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I'm a huge fan of pokers. They are the first kind I look for when buying pipes. I'd love a big barrel one. My favorite pipe to smoke right now is a poker that Uncle Arthur made for me about a year ago.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Maxpeters: A Peterson Harp 408 is very, very high on my list to get next.... After the two UA's I've committed to :rofl: would you classify it as an author ? I think it's a little less squat than the tinsky you've got there. That's a really nice looking pipe !

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Well Mick, that Peterson looks to me more like a 1/4 bent apple? I'm no expert though. But a nice looking pipe.

Look up Greg Pease's article "Classic Comoy Tradition" shape 256. It came out on 9th Nov. 2000. It was the article that originally got me interested in the "Author" shape. It shows what the classic shape looks like.

damien83

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2011
Not sure if this is a real type or not or if its been covered or not but my favorite is a good freehand pipe.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I think I had better be a little more general or luck will find me smoking rhodesians for the rest of my life.
I'm actually pretty happy with freehands, and quarter and half bents. Full bent is okay but it doesn't get the smoke out from under my nose the way I prefer.
Don't much like straight stems. I like to be able to at least sort of see into the bowl while smoking.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I use to love full bent anything, but now I want straight with a large fat round bowl with thick walls and a fat stem that tapers steeply to the regular fish tail bit.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have a Savanelli Oom Paul that I don't have to clench. It just hooks on my lower teeth and rests against my jaw. Perfect!!! Close second would be the bent bulldog or rhodesian.

Status
Not open for further replies.