PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
So far I think Vauen. I habitually run them once through my fingers to get rid of any factory floaters that made their way into the bag. Rarely is anything left in the stem. Cheapy ones...yes they are full of drier lint and really not cheaper than good ones when you catch a sale.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends on what I need. Nylon shank brushes for a good scrubbing out, White Elephant bristles for the stem airway, BJ Long tapered bristles for the shank airway, especially if it’s a wider airway. White Elephant is the much superior product, but a little skinnier than I would like, so I often double them over when cleaning out the shank airway. One of my antique Barlings has such a wide airway that I have to braid two BJ Long tapered bristles to get any cleaning action at all.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
As a follow up question, does anyone else have issues with the wire scrapping the inside of the stem?

I try to slowly insert the pipe cleaners to prevent internal scratches but sometimes I can still feel the pipe cleaner scraping. That scraping is like nails on a chalk board.

Reactions: BenMN

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
As a follow up question, does anyone else have issues with the wire scrapping the inside of the stem?

I try to slowly insert the pipe cleaners to prevent internal scratches but sometimes I can still feel the pipe cleaner scraping. That scraping is like nails on a chalk board.
I’ve noticed that with the BJ Longs that come in a bundle, my fix is to cut a couple of millimeters off of the tip. I guess they come crimped sometimes because of a dull cutting tool or some other reason.

Reactions: BenMN and Chalaw87

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I’ve noticed that with the BJ Longs that come in a bundle, my fix is to cut a couple of millimeters off of the tip. I guess they come crimped sometimes because of a dull cutting tool or some other reason.
BJ Longs are the cleaners Ive been using. Ill have to try cutting the ends, or just ditch the BJ Longs all together.

Reactions: BenMN and MattRVA

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN

Yep. I will use thumb/nail to straighten any little kick at the end

Reactions: Chalaw87

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I like Longs as well.

I accidentally ordered the extra fluffies once, and now I order them on purpose.

I will "strip" both the fluffies and regulars.

Reactions: Chalaw87