PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Just interested in taking a poll. Who is your favorite online vendor, and why? I realize that it might be hard to pick just one, so I'm going to split it up into categories.
Tobacco: P&C. Other than the recent price hike (on Esoterica), I've found that they have the widest variety, and most often the cheapest prices. If they're not the cheapest, it's usually off by a few cents. And the fact that they have special sales and promotions means that you can get a good amount of tobacco for cheap.
Pipes: This one's tougher for me, since my rotation is all pipes under $100, and I was looking to get a good rotation rather quickly. I think most of my pipes are from P&C, then SP.com, then Milan, then 4noggins.
I'd have to say for me, it's a tie between Milan and SP.com. I really like the choice in estate pipes from SP.com, and I've gotten a few Savinelli's from them. I'm really happy with the 2 Nordings I got from Milan, as I could not find those pipes on other sites as quickly (or for the price). And I've been window shopping at Milan and found some nice pipes for a decent price.
Other: This can be for any sort of accessory. I've been doing more reading lately, and as P&C has gotten rid of their pipe literature, this one goes to SP.com. I'm not into fancy tampers, ashtrays, pipe cases, so those don't factor in here.
Honorable Mention: Milan has some nice pipes, but tobacco is more expensive. If I see a pipe I like (under $100), of course, I will add to my cart to get free shipping.
4noggins. I've only ordered from them once before, but it was a good experience. Some of you may have seen my new Neerup pipe. After I'd gotten some good compliments on it, I went looking around for more (just browsing). I failed to find a pipe of similar aesthetics on other sites (in a comparable price range). I checked SP.com, P&C, Milan (although they have some nice Neerups), and Cup-o-Joe's. And, I got a sample of Jesse's Own, which I really enjoyed. It was gone in 3 days.
Milan although above I stated that their tobacco is expensive, I have had a few of their house blends and enjoyed them. They tobacco of the month is a decent price (if you buy 1/2lb)
Least Favorite: This might be unfair (and feel free to correct me), but I think Cup-o-Joe's gets this one. simply because they don't offer free shipping. I think I would have to fall head over heels in love with a pipe to order from them.
So, there you go. I would enjoy hearing your favorites, and maybe I'll find some new sites to peruse based on your recommendations. I have yet to look through all the site sponsors here.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Lol oh boy, I see nothing good being posted on this topic!! 8O

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
In different ways, they all have merits. I like both SPC and 4noggs and can't chose. I really appreciate the detailed info I get from SPC. In the other hand, the lightning fast shipping with USPS (yes I prefer them) with 4noggs rocks. I
I've gotten good personal service from both.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Maybe we could leave "Least Favorite" out of the mix. I already have a feeling what most people are going to put!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't pretend to have an objective sense of which online retailers are "best." I've never used 4Noggins, but

like the site and everything I hear. I just haven't connected with my items of the moment. In terms of my go-to

online retailers, smokingpipes.com serves as a sort of newspaper of what's available and how pricing is running,

and they have done me more than one favor, so I visit them regularly. The old Chicago pipe shop and smoking

lounge Iwan Ries seems to come up with pipes I want at the lowest price, though I don't buy much tobacco from

them. I regularly visit Cup O Joes for pipes not offered elsewhere at pretty good prices. I have bought pipes

from tobaccopipes.com, and especially appreciate their Chapuis-Comoy selection, good briar at cob prices, and

their extremely competitive prices on BC pipes. For tin and bulk tobacco, I tend to go back to SP, because they

are geographically close, competitively priced, and have an expansive inventory. I visit Pipes and Cigars regularly

too, though I'm not yet a customer. For specialty items, I like Two Cousins for custom pipe racks and Walker

Briar Works for Forever stems for MM cobs. I do not buy pipe related items on Ebay or Amazon. "My" carver,

Jerry Perry, does not sell online.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
4noggins all the way!!! Rich is a great guy, they have competitive prices, and shipping is lightning fast. I also like his 'consignment tins.' It allows someone new to the hobby to get their hands on aged tobacco.

Smoking Pipes would be second. But I must give props to their pipe selection. Probably # 1 when purchasing pipes.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
For both I highly prefer SP. I don't order from 4 noggins and from P&C I now order only H&H tobacco's.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I have use P&C and 4noggins. Both have strengths and weakness. Neither of them would prevent my doing business with them -- although, the selection at P&C does have me gravitate in their direction.
In this era, with the loss of so many B&M stores, it great to have the selection we have.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
For tobacco I place monthly orders with 4Noggins, Smokingpipes, Peretti and Pipeworks & Wilke. I'm in Canada so I cannot use P&C.

For pipes I'm mostly interested in estates and regularly check Mkelaw-lawpipes, briarblues, pulverbriar, twofriendspipe, walkerbriarworks and briarsweatandtears. I also like SPC pipe selection and presentation.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Craig, because like everyone else on PM, I'm an enabler, even if it's just for myself! PAD and TAD be damned!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have done comparative shopping for tobacco blends and you can not beat Smokingpipes.com for prices. Also, I have purchased several estate pipes for smokingpipes.com and they way that they recondition their estates pipes look almost brand new.
If you want selection it is either smokingpipes.com or iwanries.com

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
After visiting spc's showroom and getting a proper grand tour of the whole facility and meeting most if not all of the staff, I pretty much stick to them.
Really great operation they got going there.
Unless they're out of stock of something I'm looking for :(

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
tobacco:

1. Pipes and Cigars(prices), 4Noggins(service) (tied)

2. Smoking Pipes

pipes:

1. Ebay

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
I cannot answer this question until I find the most obscure and least known online vendor of pipe and tobacco supplies on the planet. Then I'll be ultra-hip and post a glowing review. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.