PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
What are y’all’s favorite HU blends? I’m thinking about placing an order with Esterval’s. Also, if there are any other great blends that are only available from Esterval’s, I’d like to hear about those as well.

So far I’ve tried these (all were excellent):
Moroccan Bazaar
Director’s Cut
Louisiana Broken

I haven't followed the other thread that closely, but has it been confirmed that Esterval's shipments are reaching the US again problem-free? I may have misunderstood but they were stopped for a while?

But either way, so many great HU blends to recommend, depends on what you like, but off the top of my head Fayum Cake, Makhuwa, Director's Cut, Zulu, Taurekh(?) are some of my favorites.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I haven't followed the other thread that closely, but has it been confirmed that Esterval's shipments are reaching the US again problem-free? I may have misunderstood but they were stopped for a while?
It's still Russian Roulette, but with less rounds in the chambers. Now it's DHL sending orders back on occasion, due to some lack of understanding by some employees of international rules regarding importing and exporting tobacco for personal use. That said, the odds are better than they were.

My former favorite HU blends, before K&K turned to the dark side and started messing them up were:

Director's Cut
Makhuwa
5th Anniversary Blend
Zulu
Old Fredders
Indaba
Flanagan
Moroccan Bazaar
Edward G

After the last purchases I made in 2019 I wouldn't waste the money. Makhuwa, which was my top favorite, had been completely ruined, with the Malawi nowhere in evidence and the cocoa totally gone to be replaced by sour bitterness. The rich blend used in 5th Anniversary and Edward G had been replaced with cheap subs. Director's cut stank of cheap West African dark fired and wasn't the same blend.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It's still Russian Roulette, but with less rounds in the chambers. Now it's DHL sending orders back on occasion, due to some lack of understanding by some employees of international rules regarding importing and exporting tobacco for personal use. That said, the odds are better than they were.

My former favorite HU blends, before K&K turned to the dark side and started messing them up were:

Director's Cut
Makhuwa
5th Anniversary Blend
Zulu
Old Fredders
Indaba
Flanagan
Moroccan Bazaar
Edward G

After the last purchases I made in 2019 I wouldn't waste the money. Makhuwa, which was my top favorite, had been completely ruined, with the Malawi nowhere in evidence and the cocoa totally gone to be replaced by sour bitterness. The rich blend used in 5th Anniversary and Edward G had been replaced with cheap subs. Director's cut stank of cheap West African dark fired and wasn't the same blend.
Well damn. Would I just be better off placing a LJ Peretti order instead?

Reactions: JOHN72

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona

Director's Cut
Makhuwa
5th Anniversary Blend
Zulu
Old Fredders
Indaba
Flanagan
Moroccan Bazaar
Edward G

Do you know when K&K went cheap? I have a lot of HU in storage but haven't ordered any for a long time.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Louisiana Broken, Old Fredders, Fayum Cake, Janneman Flake, Makhuwa. And all of mine have been since 2019 and very good. Perhaps I'm just lucky I didn't try the "good stuff" before K&K got involved as I really enjoy the above blends. Directors cut was my least favorite of the 8-9 blends tried but certainly smokable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do you know when K&K went cheap? I have a lot of HU in storage but haven't ordered any for a long time.
I don't know. Most of my HU purchases were done in 2016 when I ordered directly from HU. I placed a couple of orders with Esterval's in 2017 and early 2018, which were good. The order I made in 2019 sucked. My 2020 order, which contained no HU blends, was an unmitigated disaster. So some time during 2018 0r 2019 things changed.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
In order of preference:

• Janneman flake - delicious red Virginia with a little bit of Perique
  • Louisiana Broken - very nice strongish VaPer with Kentucky
  • Makhuwa - although I only tried the recent version, it is still a nice chocolatey burley
  • Director's Cut - really disappointed me at the start, then refocused and looked at it for what it is for my tastes: a light sweet blend with some depth and interest, an archetypical all-day smoke for me.

Jerry Sarono/Hadde's Best Irish/Fayyum/Khoisaan/Port Latakia/Zulu I enjoy(ed) smoking but wouldn't buy again as they didn't offer me something I can't find elsewhere.

Dockworker/Tillerman pissed me off.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
A blend I don’t see mentioned often is My Special One. It’s a VaPer with some dark fired and a trace amount of Latakia. I smoked it out of an open tin for about a month. It went from being a decent if unremarkable smoke to being something truly special.
Nyala is another worth trying if you like burley and cigar leaf.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.