PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
What’s your favorite? Thinking about putting in a big Esterval’s order and HU seems like the way to go. No clue what I like or don’t like so I figure grabbing a bunch of different ones would be a good start...

Reactions: rushx9
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can't pick just one. Directors Cut is a favorite of many and it is one of my favs as well. VaPer with some DFK in it. Superb.

I like Haymaker best of the HU Va offerings. I would say Virginia blends is not an HU strength but this is a good Va Flake.

Flanagan and Joschi's Oriental Sunrise are my two favorite VaOr blends. I have put quite a bit of each in the cellar for aging.

I really like Manyara. Very complex. I don't know how to really describe it. Red Va base with "lots of other stuff" that all seems to play together nicely.

If you enjoy a good cigar Nyala is a must. The best cigar pipe blend I've tasted.

Makhuwa and Nashville County are 2 burley blends but are worlds apart taste wise. Makhuwa has a light cocoa/chocolate topping that is evident but does not overwhelm the flavor of the blend in the least. Nashville County is quite spicy.

Dockworker is a Burley flake that I have quite a few tins of. Could easily be an all day smoke.

Louisiana Broken is my favor pure VaPer blend.

HU has some excellent Latakia blends if you like Latakia. I'm not a fan so I won't comment on those other than to say I have a few tins of Fayuum Kake and Zulu.

I'll give you a safe guarantee. Buy that list and if you don't like any of them, I'll pay you what you paid for them (Esterval's pricing) shipped to me. I doubt you'll be sending much my way. And over time, there are a number of other really good blends. The guy is a brilliant blender.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I can't pick just one. Directors Cut is a favorite of many and it is one of my favs as well. VaPer with some DFK in it. Superb.

I like Haymaker best of the HU Va offerings. I would say Virginia blends is not an HU strength but this is a good Va Flake.

Flanagan and Joschi's Oriental Sunrise are my two favorite VaOr blends. I have put quite a bit of each in the cellar for aging.

I really like Manyara. Very complex. I don't know how to really describe it. Red Va base with "lots of other stuff" that all seems to play together nicely.

If you enjoy a good cigar Nyala is a must. The best cigar pipe blend I've tasted.

Makhuwa and Nashville County are 2 burley blends but are worlds apart taste wise. Makhuwa has a light cocoa/chocolate topping that is evident but does not overwhelm the flavor of the blend in the least. Nashville County is quite spicy.

Dockworker is a Burley flake that I have quite a few tins of. Could easily be an all day smoke.

HU has some excellent Latakia blends if you like Latakia. I'm not a fan so I won't comment on those other than to say I have a few tins of Fayuum Kake and Zulu.

I'll give you a safe guarantee. Buy that list and if you don't like any of them, I'll pay you what you paid for them (Esterval's pricing) shipped to me. I doubt you'll be sending much my way. And over time, there are a number of other really good blends. The guy is a brilliant blender.

Sounds like one hell of an insurance policy! I’ll take you up on it and add those to my list.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I can’t pick one, but currently I am smoking Fayyum Kake, Edward G and Tuarehk Everything everyone has stated in this thread is absolutely true. Every HU blend I have tried is amazing, so amazing that I barely buy any US based blends anymore. I am heavily cellaring HU tobaccos and slowly selling many of the blends I previously cellered because I know I will never smoke them since I discovered HU. Their English and Balkan blends are complex, butter smooth and very flavorful. I don’t know how HU can accomplish such a high level of quality across the board. HU is starting to blowup on YouTube, before reviews of HU blends were rare, now I am seeing more and more reviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Fayyum, Fayyum Kake, Zulu, Louisiana Broken, Director’s Cut, Indaba, Old Fredders Flake, Dockworker, Nashville County, and Sissinghurst if you like floral/fruity stuff.

Estervals also has a huge Sam Gawith and Rattrays selection compared to US sites, also don’t miss grabbing a couple tins of Dan St. Bernard Flake (EU only) and Salty Dogs (way cheaper there).

They also have amazing prices on vauen pipes, particularly their Auenland series if you are into churchwardens.

Also, in case you weren’t already aware, the prices drop considerably once you start a (free) account. Also be prepared for shipping of 2-7 weeks. My last order to AK took 8 weeks.

• Love
Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I bought Makhuwa, Tillerman, Janneman, Dockworker, Jerry Sarono and, of course, Director's Cut. Will start trying them in a month or so from now. If I like them as much as everyone else does they'll get heavily cellared in a special birthday order (mid summer).

Reactions: BROBS and ram74

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Glad you liked that Sissinghurst. Wasn’t sure but I thought with some of your tobacco preferences it might be up your alley.
It's unique and delicious! I could see it being a bit much for the uninitiated, but it really scratches the Irish OTC itch without the usual shillelagh wallop of nicotine!

Reactions: BROBS

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Every HU blend I've tried has been top notch. And they are all in top of their respective genre.
Director's Cut is a must. A super nice VaPer.
Fauyym Kake and Zulu are some amazing English/Balkans.
Makhuwa is (together with Old Dark fired) the only Burley containing tobacco I smoke. And as it counts as an aromatic, the only aromatic I smoke. It is awesome.

Just got my hands on Tuarekh and Flanagan Flake which is next in line to be tested. I'm lucky living i Sweden where it's fairly easy to order them HU's.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
In addition to all the blends mentioned, My Special One is well worth trying. It’s a Virginia/Perique with some Dark Fired Kentucky and a small quantity of Latakia. When I first tried it, I thought it was good but it just didn’t blow me away like so many of the HU blends had. After a month of smoking it from the tin, however, it developed into another stunning offering from HU.

Reactions: BROBS

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012

Thanks for this! I finally logged into Estervals today and placed my first order. Among the HU blends, I decided to try Makhuwa and Nyala. Makhuwa seems like a stellar burley mixture from what I have understood, and it has been awhile since I’ve smoked a good cigar blend w/o the inclusion of Latakia, so the Nyala seems right up my alley. Can’t wait to report back when these arrives and I am able to smoke them.

Thanks again,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.