PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I keep a few frozen pizzas on hand for busy week nights. My gauge is Little Caesars (a Michigan pizza chain) offers Hot and Ready pizzas that are awaiting you in a "hot box" for $5 (large cheese or pepperoni) with certain upgrades (extra pepperoni or stuffed crust) amounting to a pizza night for under $20.

In other words, I tend to avoid paying much more than $5 for a frozen pizza since I can just pick one up that's ready to go. No, Little Caesars is not my favorite, but it's a quick meal that tends to satisfy everyone.

For frozen pizza, Gino's East has the deep dish, Home Runn has a decent thin crust, Tony's has a surprisingly good Mexican pizza, and Freshetta has a legit mushroom and onion "white" pizza.

What's your "go to" frozen pizza and why?

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When I was much younger I loved those crappy Totino's pizza. They use to cost .99 cents. I'd pull it out of the oven and fold it in half and eat it like a sandwich. Not sure if they even make them anymore.

We seldom buy frozen pizzas anymore. If we do, it would be one of those DiGiorno's thick crusts or a Lou Malnati's frozen deep dish.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I don't know if it's even still made or not, but they definitely don't carry it at grocery stores in NE Ohio.

Red Baron used to make a Mexican Supreme Pizza that was my favorite frozen pizza of all time. Truthfully, I don't eat alot of frozen pizza anymore... but if I could get my hands on one of these I'd probably eat a dozen of 'em!

37ab7bf5283b48824e32de32322ce772_large.png

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I don't know if it's even still made or not, but they definitely don't carry it at grocery stores in NE Ohio.

Red Baron used to make a Mexican Supreme Pizza that was my favorite frozen pizza of all time. Truthfully, I don't eat alot of frozen pizza anymore... but if I could get my hands on one of these I'd probably eat a dozen of 'em!

View attachment 164034

Try the Jack's version. Same concept and readily available in Meijer and Kroger (if they have those stores just south of the Mitten). Let me know how similar it is.

I always have at least one on hand and usually add some salsa or other sauce (an avocado hot sauce is a current favorite). But it is legit "as is" and you can't beat the price (like $2.50 on sale).

I also get Jack's cheese pizza (or another thin crust "cardboard" pizza) and top with spinach dip. The local grocery stores tend to add water chestnuts to their dip, so it gives the pizza a nice crunch. It's sinful, but delicious.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Favorite?

This:

900.jpg

Covered in as much of this as you can put in an even layer:

32af4f08-262e-478c-b5e6-d529801a5587.f461220e5549f1f09c2c5c2ef6337806.jpeg

That's just my particular favorite but really you can cheese up just about any frozen pizza and they're great.

I survived high school and college with these and I'll always have a particular fondness for them:

15229748315_1bf4463c08_b.jpg

The Red Baron Mexican pizzas were a special treat during those times.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We don't eat much frozen pizza, but last night we had a Whole Foods 365 pizza with Mozzarella cheese in very small bits that disappeared, and tomato. My wife, who has often made pizza from scratch, crust and all, fixed this one up before she put it in the oven, adding big slices of Mozzarella and fresh tomatoes. The crust was thin and fairly good, so with some fortification with our ingredients, it was good. Frozen pizza is a time saver.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
not a huge fan. But what's really good is a crust (baboli or whatever that is works, but is not ideal) with pizza sauce baked and topped with a basic garden type salad tossed with Italian dressing or similar type. It's way better then it sounds like it should be. Also more filling then it sounds like it should be too. Seriously everyone I've bugged about it does it regularly now.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
not a huge fan. But what's really good is a crust (baboli or whatever that is works, but is not ideal) with pizza sauce baked and topped with a basic garden type salad tossed with Italian dressing or similar type. It's way better then it sounds like it should be. Also more filling then it sounds like it should be too. Seriously everyone I've bugged about it does it regularly now.
I have made and enjoyed several "salad pizzas". A caesar salad on top of baked pizza dough (with melted cheese and dressing as the sauce) is both legit and filling.

Another is a BLT pizza with mayonnaise spread on after the dough and cheese are baked. In other words, bake dough with cheese, spread mayonnaise, top with chopped bacon, lettuce (sometimes dressed in ranch), and tomatoes.

The combination of a warm dough/crust with cold salad is suprisingly good, especially on a warm day.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob