PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hold Peterson and Savinelli in equal esteem with Kaywoodie, Nording, Chacom, Genod, Ropp, and others. Factory favorites among discontinued brands include the Danish Bari, the Italian Luciano, and the U.S. Edwards and its Benton line.

I also recommend much of the MM line, both cobs and hardwoods, and especially those offered with acrylic stems, since I chew through he stock soft plastic stems. MM is the largest U.S. factory pipe maker, I believe.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
😱
Oh my ! The unthinkable !
Lee has been jilted 😢
Shock ! Horror !

Let me be more precise, the WDC Wellington was the best factory pipe ever made. Before WW1 the customer could pay fifty cents and up to buy a perfectly made, engineered and finished, specially cured French briar pipe guaranteed for life against burnout.

D3706F55-D0CC-4C24-A90E-CF407F6EF433.jpeg776F5B1A-6DB6-4317-A940-7A0A1923C422.jpeg

Pre WW2 high grade Kaywoodies had the best briar, post war Lees the most stylish.

WDC Wellingtons were the best factory pipe.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I haven’t smoked nearly as many pipes as many forum members, and I hate to be boring, but Savinelli pipes are my choice. I think that current Savinellis are so well made that in 60-70 years, this era of Savinelli pipe will be seen as collectible in the same way that some currently collect early Dunhills, Barlings, Petersons, etc.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Let me be more precise, the WDC Wellington was the best factory pipe ever made. Before WW1 the customer could pay fifty cents and up to buy a perfectly made, engineered and finished, specially cured French briar pipe guaranteed for life against burnout.

View attachment 192996View attachment 192997

Pre WW2 high grade Kaywoodies had the best briar, post war Lees the most stylish.

A knock-off of the Peterson system.
P-lip and all

As for "the best factory pipe" - their claim and your opinion.

I respectfully beg to disagree
We'll leave it at that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The William Demuth Company was one of the premier pipe makers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Eventually the Wellington became their mainstay, but before that they offered a variety of pipes including high sought after meerschaums, two of which were owned by President James a Garfield.

But, superlatives like "best pipe ever made' factory or artisan are not meaningful.

A lot of fine pipes were made by well known companies, and by small little known companies and were much prized by their owners. I love my Barlings and I also love my Piersels. Someone else loves his or her cobs. The finest pipe is the pipe its owner believes to be his or her finest pipe.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why was the Wellington best?

It cost fifty cents and up.

They might have paid royalties to Peterson, or Peterson might not have had a valid USA patent.

William Demuth might have made the very finest, or among the finest, pipes that ever existed, but it took two years to carve for the 1893 World’s Fair.

CF5C221A-BD4C-4558-BFF5-48787103E1E5.jpeg

In a lot of ways the Wellington can be compared to the Ford Model T. Not the first car, but the one that started it all.

For fifty cents, at the local drug store, the man who wanted a pipe got one that cannot possibly be improved on for smoking qualities and with came with a lifetime guarantee.

If his wife wanted a deluxe model to give him, WDC made those Wellingtons as well.

6C71EC2F-2B81-4311-83A1-29191DE56419.jpeg

The Wellington Pre dates the modern Camel cigarette, even Prince Albert in a pocket tin.

Changing fashion killed it.

But today you can buy one for $40 that equals the best and biggest “house pipe” offered by Peterson.

C211EC56-FC40-40B4-8312-0C9D6EB7AA23.jpeg

The success of the Wellington inspired all the other factory pipes that came after.

Last edited:

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I haven’t smoked nearly as many pipes as many forum members, and I hate to be boring, but Savinelli pipes are my choice. I think that current Savinellis are so well made that in 60-70 years, this era of Savinelli pipe will be seen as collectible in the same way that some currently collect early Dunhills, Barlings, Petersons, etc.
It will never happen due to lack of consistency. Too many lines and too many qualities.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
That's tough. I'd say Peterson has my favorites, but Stanwell is more consistent in their quality. Both their Danish and current Italian pipes are absolutely fantastic for the price (I seriously don't understand why the newer pipes get so much hate; I've pipes from both eras, and both smoke just as well). You can't go wrong with either. I'd probably give the slight edge to Peterson, because aesthetically they have pipes that I'm attracted to more often, and I do enjoy a good deluxe system pipe. They smoke very coolly, good for taming certain blends.

Other good factory brands are Neerup, Brebbia, Chacom, and even Genod. All wonderful pipes for the price. They don't get enough love, but most pipes I've gotten from those brands have been excellent.

Smoke Wagon

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2022

View attachment 192996View attachment 192997

That sure looks like a Peterson in a lot of ways…

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Everyone has mentioned some excellent factory pipes - current and vintage.
One comment I’ll add is that previously I only had older Petersons. I stayed away from what was current production, - because of quality control issues. But I recently gave them another shot, and bought a 2022 Christmas Dublin with copper army mount. Its drilling is right on the money & I like the bowl coating they used. It produced nice tasty smokes from the very first time. I also bought a new production bent bulldog & it looks excellent too. (I haven’t smoked it yet). So my prejudice against new Petersons has been reversed. I already have enough pipes & enough Petersons for now. But I don’t reject their new pipes for consideration like before.

Mac

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Everyone has mentioned some excellent factory pipes - current and vintage.
One comment I’ll add is that previously I only had older Petersons. I stayed away from what was current production, - because of quality control issues. But I recently gave them another shot, and bought a 2022 Christmas Dublin with copper army mount. Its drilling is right on the money & I like the bowl coating they used. It produced nice tasty smokes from the very first time. I also bought a new production bent bulldog & it looks excellent too. (I haven’t smoked it yet). So my prejudice against new Petersons has been reversed. I already have enough pipes & enough Petersons for now. But I don’t reject their new pipes for consideration like before.

Mac
I really like this year's Christmas Petes - I got two, a billiard and a tankard.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That sure looks like a Peterson in a lot of ways…

My guesses about that, is that an Irish (then U.K.) made Peterson was heavily tariffed, and the Wellington (not the other WDC briars) was sort of an American Peterson, made under license.

The exact same protective tariffs caused the Remington Automatic Shotgun (later Model 11) to be an American made Belgian Browning Auto Five.

I think WDC’s problem was they became a one pipe company.

My guess is younger customers all associated WDC with the Wellington and had a big one back at home, while they walked around smoking Kaywoodies, Webers, Lees, Mastercraft, Grabow and other standard shaped, portable straight pipes.

After three quarters of a century, the young customers all wanted a real Peterson instead.

Reactions: Akoni808