PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
1. Clive Cussler

2. Matthew Reilly (absolute must read!!!)

3. Vince Flynn

4. Jack Higgins

5. Jeffrey Archer

6. Jim Butcher

7. E.E. Knight

8. Christopher Farnsworth

9. John Grisham

10. Rick Newcombe (gotta give a pipe guy some love)

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
John Scalzi is about the only current author I am familiar with; I've read a few books here and there but nothing of note that hasn't been around for 30 years or more.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Cormac McCarthy, Philip Roth, Ron Rash, Toni Morrison, Fred Chappell, Louise Erdrich, Jonathan Franzen, Neil Gaiman, Sam Shepard (assuming playwrights count), can I still say Seamus Haney? (I refuse to admit that he has died), Lee Smith. There's many more, but that's what comes to mind at the present.
Most of my absolute favorite authors are dead: Ralph Ellison, James Baldwin, Mark Twain, Herman Melville, Faulkner. . .

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
1= Brad Thor

2= Vince Flynn, who I think lost a battle with Cancer, bless his soul

3 = old Cussler, not too liking his newer stuff that is accompanied with another.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I enjoy the more twisted side when it comes to novels. My favorite author right now is Chuck Palyhnuck. He just finished his first two book series; Damned and Doomed, about a young girl who goes down to hell, after dying, and challenges Satan for power of the underworld. I'm getting ready to start the second book soon.
If you want to understand Chuck Palyhnuck a little, he was the creater of Fight Club, which was turned into a movie with Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. He has what some would call 'a dark sense of humor.'

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
James Lee Burke

Pat Conroy

Robert Crais

Michael Connelly
Some of the best stories and writing on this or any other planet. Do yourselves a favor and familiarize yourself with their body of work.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I second the EE Knight mention. Guys amazing! I'll also throw in SM Stirling and Harry Turtledove. I also enjoy Dean Koontz when I'm in the mood to scare myself. If we included comic book authors, I could go even longer. Unfortunately I have 1 year left in undergrad and then off to law school so my reading for pleasure time is nonexistent.

Jan 8, 2013
Robert Jordan (although he passed away)

Brandon Sanderson... I had never read any of his books before, but he did a fantastic job taking over The Wheel Of Time series where Robert Jordan left off. Book 12 and 13 were amazing and I'm about to begin the final book. I think Robert Jordan would be proud. I'll definitely read more of Sanderson's books now.

Dennis McKiernan... I love his stuff.

Terry Brooks... I love his stuff too.

David Eddings... I like his stuff a lot.

Margarette Weise (may have mispelled name) and Tracy Hickman... the stuff they wrote together is greatness. Especially the original Dragonlance Trilogy (before they decided years later to make the series longer... not that the additions were bad, I just prefer the first three)

I could go on and on and on and on and on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.