PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry to be "that guy", but Crab Rangoon is American (named after the a city in Burma/Myanmar) and Teriyaki is about as Japanese as you can get.
Why do you ask?

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I don't think I've ever eaten at a Chinese food place that wasn't a all you can eat buffet come to think of it. I want to try some recipes for cat fish. The country next to America in cat fish is China.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sorry to be "that guy", but Crab Rangoon is American (named after the a city in Burma/Myanmar).
Oh yeah? Then why do they sell it at almost every Chinese restaurant? LOL
I used to think Crab Rangoon was an abomination (cream cheese and "crab" meat in a deep-fried wonton), but I've made peace with them. Kind of like pizza bites.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Huh...I did not know that van. Why do they serve it at Chinese restaurants? Of course we could get into the whole all foreign food in america is really American

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Real Chinese food is available most big cities and is truly one of the world"s great cuisines. Lobster duck shrimp are main courses. Milk and cheese are not Chinese ingredients. Shel

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Framitz that's an interesting fact :) so if milk and cheese aren't Chinese ingredients what did they eat to get calcium?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you're not used to them, as Europeans are, cheese and yogurt smell rotten or else like vomit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For me, it's hot & sour soup, followed by just about anything seasoned with ginger root, garlic and soy sauce. :mrgreen:

For a second course, sweet & sour chicken (or pork).
Lastly, as a tip, try egg foo yung fried well done ...until it's literally crispy. Most places don't do that, but I have found that this makes it absolutely wonderful smothered in all that brown sauce.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
e1TXgIk.jpg

.... Lo Mein. Oh, and a side order of pot stickers! Love my Chinese dumplings, aside from the one pictured. ;)

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
400px-Chicken_feet_The_Hague.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_feet
And the extreme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchu_Han_Imperial_Feast#The_meal

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Chow yow gai. Chinese boiled chicken with onions served with sesame and peanut oil.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Beijing Duck, in Beijing. Served over several courses with different parts of the duck appearing in different dishes/courses (soup, crispy skin pancakes, etc.). I had it so much in Beijing, I got sick of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like authentic dim sum, if the chef is first rate, where they bring small servings around to be shared,

like various dumplings, turnip cakes, sticky rice with pork cooked in leaves, and so on. When done by

an experienced chef, these are among the best meals I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.