PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread skirts the issue of holiday blues. Many people who don't generally have complaints about depression get down around the holidays -- Christmas or other holidays at this season. This may surface from all of the cheerful hype that is in itself pretty depressing, the stress of holiday preparations and activities, family pressures and issues, and lost sleep and haphazard eating despite all the emphasis on food. Getting outdoors, spending some down time on your own, turning off some of the recorded and broadcast noise, staying away from retail stores and online for a while, and guarding your sleep patterns may all help. Get some sunlight on your skin during these shortest daylight days of the year will also help. Cheer to all. After today, the daylight gets a little longer every day; in two weeks, we'll really begin to notice.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
After today, the daylight gets a little longer every day; in two weeks, we'll really begin to notice.

Thank God for that!
My favorite cheer me up blend? OGS, just because.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
For me......hmmmm. I DO love Englishes, so I might think of Arango Balkan Supreme, Artisan's Blend, Northwoods, or Presbyterian Mixture. For a Navy of sorts....Black Frigate, of course.
But if I just want to decompress and unwind, and clear my mind?
Velvet. YMMV
CW

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
MSO489 , I really like what you wrote! you are spot on! thank you! My respect goes to those whom have difficulty this time of year. RENAL923 , I offer you my compassion, and I can relate.. my father is 82 and becoming a wee bit accedent prone. but is still doing good for his age. remember things will get better in time. until then know that a good mood comes from a state of mind. however it can help to have an enjoyable smoke too. I would say an old favorite is the way to go. RENAL923,may I send you a private message?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry to hear of your troubles, and hope you can smoke them away.... I just light up an English blend.
Wendell- you can always send PM's; no need to get permission. However, most things are best discussed publicly.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
Wendell my inbox is always open. And thank you all. Got some good recommendations, address I'm going to try and place a couple orders tonight

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
father passed away few months ago. been buying new pipes every chance i had. not very wallet friendly, but does cheer me up. cult blood red moon is good one when i'm down. just had a bowl, feeling much better. than again, any tobacco is better than none.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I'm sorry things have been rough this season. If I need a pick me up I gravitate towards Plumb Pudding or PS cherry.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
First I hope things improve! Reminds me of Sir Walter Raleigh's tobacco pouch after his beheading had the below enscription. In times of need it was Copenhagen while I was in the service, because smoking gets you dead lol.
Now days any tobacco that lights if things are that bad lol. But Carter Hall is a great friend. Always there, always good!
"Engraved upon the pouch was a Latin inscription: Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore ("It was my companion at that most miserable time")."

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Best wishes to you and your family, I have smoked Butternut Burley to ease the mind...or one of my last flakes of Irish Condor (but I've got to be on death's door step to break into my last few flakes (Irish-Condor Long Cut).

kiltedpiper

Lurker
Dec 6, 2018
I'm with you on the 'still exploring' tobacco's. I'm still searching for my replacement to Dunhill 965, since it always reminded me of campfires and those are good memories. Nearest I've gotten since then is some of the Rattray's, Hal-o-The-Wynd or Bagpipers Dream (but that might just be me Scotts talking)

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
Sorry to hear that.

For me, I'd seek tobaccos with medium to strong hic-hit, medium to strong body, and more importantly, it does not do tongue bite to you. And I found Peterson 3P's been playing this mood-cheering role for me in the holiday season. Irish flake might also be worth a shot.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can relate to holiday blues. For me, that's the one time of year when the memories of a number of deceased friends and relatives decide to take up the rockstar parking spaces in the ol' cranium.
I've found that simply going to the B&M shop, browsing the contents, and picking out a new (to me) blend that I've heard about picks up my mood. As a matter of fact I did that very thing this evening, and ended up running into Pappymac and buying a tin of Esoterica Margate.
As far as tobacco recommendations go: If you can find it, and especially if you've never had it, try some Dark Flake Scented. I guarantee you'll forget about anything that's bothering you while you try to figure out what the hell you're smoking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.