PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Looking to build up my stash of non-aro blends with zero toppings. I am enjoying J L Pease's Union Square so much that I'd like to expand into more blends.
I prefer Va/Lat's though I do enjoy Stokkebyes' Luxury Bullseye flake.
Any suggestions other than the impossible to get Stonehaven?

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Looking at the packaging for Exhausted Rooster, I can't feel sorry for his dilemma. :wink:
That's one I will order, any others.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I am enjoying Pease's Union Square
That is a straight Va Flake right?
How about these:
Dunhill - Flake

Fribourg & Treyer - Vintage

Mac Baren - Virginia Flake

McClelland - Christmas Cheer (any year)

Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake

Astley's - No.109 Virginia Flake

Dan Tobacco - Hamborger Veermaster

Samuel Gawith - Best Brown Flake

Mac Baren - Virginia No.1
As for Va/Lat ... too many to list. More English blends than I can shake a stick at! lol

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
@cobguy, I have Veermaster but waiting at least a year to crack the tin. I'm a fan of several Dan blends, unopened tins of Patriot Flake & Devil's Holiday. I also have unopened tims of Dunhill Flake. EMP & 965(both might have toppings) are in my semi-regular rotation. Also MB's #1 tin unopened. Saving the Va's at least a year.
The mfg's should do a better job of labeling. I purchased the Pease Union Square, yes Va flake because it was labled as "no toppings or flavoring" and I thought my tongue would appreciate that.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I just emailed Richard at 4Noggins asking if the 1pound of Button Bay that I enjoy has any toppings. Just curious. So, I'm gonna research my cellar(cabinet).
I would think it very rare for any Cavendish to not have flavoring.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So many. Right now I'm enjoying PS Luxury Navy Flake, GLP Triple Play, McClelland 5100, Lanes Burley W/O Bite,

MM 965, among others. I like to switch off on those with a few aromatics, so they taste new when I go back.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
You guys talking toppings or casings?. You should be able to tell if your tobacco has a topping by the room note.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
If you like Union Square...
Then I highly recommend that you try C&D's Opening Night
If you like Union Square - you will love Opening Night

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
derfargin asked, "If I may ask, What's the big aversion to topped tobacco? Do you find you get reactions from it? "
Mostly tongue bite from the sugars.
Up until I joined this forum most of the tobacco that I smoked were of the Drug Store variety and Frog Mortons. So, tongue bite was par for the course. Then, I stated smoking some of the suggested Va's and dark fired blends that I've been exposed to on this forum and I found that many didn't bite. Well, I started stocking up on a variety of different Va's, lots of unopened tins I haven't gotten to yet not knowing if they had toppings or not.
I have some blends that contain Cavendish that I like. But, I think in the future I will stay away from most that do have toppings for the sake of my tongue.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
From the Perique zone, I recommend Escudo and GL Pease's Fillmore.
For straight VAs, Dunhill Flake and Capstan Blue Flake.
I'm not an English/Balkan aficionado by any stretch, but for a nice, mild, no-topping Balkan I've been enjoying Balkan Sasieni.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/a-tale-of-two-syrups-casings-and-top-dressings/
Jitterbug wrote, "You guys talking toppings or casings?. You should be able to tell if your tobacco has a topping by the room note. "
I would say casing and topping.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are casings, and there are also toppings. Casing is a heavily applied additive. The tobacco is soaked in the juice. Topping however is certainly less in amount and may be only sprayed on top of the tobacco. But here we have to differentiate between ordinary topping used to make the tobacco tasty and topping added to add an additional flavor. Mr. Pease says that his Union Square is one of the few tobaccos available that uses no topping whatsoever. Everything else, everything, is made palatable/tasty with topping that might be better understood as a tobacco conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.