New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 27, 2020
I had a hand me down Green Machine as a yout with those hard plastic wheels so worn in the middle it was almost like riding on rims although that didn't stop me from poppin' the levers and doing gnarly slide outs and spins down our sloped driveway, although, trying to peddle back up was a real bitch.

Hilarious to see the helmet-less kids in this commercial.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'm of a vintage that big wheels were not a thing growing up. Both sons had one early on, don't remember the brand. IIRC they both transitioned fairly quickly to bicycles.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Back when men were Men, women were Women, and themtheys were only a rumor, kids first rode tricycles made of STEEL, and then grew into bicycles made of STEEL.

NO
plastic nuthin'. NO helmets, NO pads, NO so-low-to-the-ground-they-can't-tip-over spinny things with pedals that looked like they came out of a comic strip.

In pussy-ass day-glo colors no less.

No wonder the world is goin' to shit.

That's where it all started, clear as day.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 1.28.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 1.33.33 PM.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The green machine is way, way after my time. Growing up, we'd just invented the wheel. My grandma called a tricycle a velocipede when some of the older folks still knew what she was talking about. I did have one of the earliest prototypes of a skateboard, but it was designed as more of a land sled, that turned the wheels for steering by leaning one way or the other, seated on the sled.

My dad rigged a harness for our spaniel George who had the most powerful legs for a dog of his size I've ever seen. Sure enough, my cousin and I got aboard, and George took off after a squirrel, and we might have ridden right up the tree if the wheels hadn't caught in a groove between the grass and the sidewalk. Anything with wheels was wonderful. I knew the names of all the car brands when I was about four years old. I was fixated on the neighbors Crosely station wagon, an American made sub-compact a decade before its time.

Jan 27, 2020
Back when men were Men, women were Women, and themtheys were only a rumor, kids first rode tricycles made of STEEL, and then grew into bicycles made of STEEL.

NO
plastic nuthin'. NO helmets, NO pads, NO so-low-to-the-ground-they-can't-tip-over spinny things with pedals that looked like they came out of a comic strip.

In pussy-ass day-glo colors no less.

No wonder the world is goin' to shit.

That's where it all started, clear as day.

View attachment 208214
View attachment 208215

You go girl!

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
The Spin Out 360

Who wears helmets on a big wheel?
1E7B4923-EA4F-4CD4-A82E-00363F0B785C.jpeg

These signs were not official, put up to mock the nanny state, but people assumed that they were legit and even the police didn't dissuade that notion.

Give it time, and they'll require helmets for walking out the front door of your home, after all, you could slip and hit your head. The father of one of my former coworkers slipped and fell on ice right outside his front door in Canada and died as a result of the head injury.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
View attachment 208221

These signs were not official, put up to mock the nanny state, but people assumed that they were legit and even the police didn't dissuade that notion.

Give it time, and they'll require helmets for walking out the front door of your home, after all, you could slip and hit your head. The father of one of my former coworkers slipped and fell on ice right outside his front door in Canada and died as a result of the head injury.
I like the "collisions" lol ... "logyourjog" is good too...I'm sure that's got to be a real thing by now.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jan 27, 2020
I did have one of the earliest prototypes of a skateboard, but it was designed as more of a land sled, that turned the wheels for steering by leaning one way or the other, seated on the sled.

That sounds like the Segway of antiquity.