PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
So far in my short journey-
Devils Holiday is my favorite. Prior to finding it, I was using Lane Black Raspberry to tweak other aro mixes I tried but didn’t really enjoy to not waste them. I also have some bulk sweet rum and anise blends that I use to mix other blends with. 2 parts 1Q with one part each Sutliff 805 and Sutliff Sunset Rum is a jar mix I have on hand.

By this time next month I may have found another shiny thing…

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm more like Baskin & Robbins used to be and I usually have a different flavor of the month. I have gone through periods where I loved orange/honey. I'm always up for a good Christmas/Winter blend featuring baking spices. And, of course, there are the tropical flavors - rum, coconut, pineapple, etc.

That being said, my current favorite aromatic flavor is the cedar/rose in The Untouchables. In the last 12 months, I have gone through 12 tins of the blend.
Yep

20190226_101916.jpg
So. You're the one who bought all the London Dock. I'm down to my last unopened tin.

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
Never could get into the typical "American" style aromatics. Even the more highly regarded ones, like Boswells for example, didn't really do it for me.

I love the lakelands though. Give me some Ennerdale, Coniston Cut Plug, or 1792 Flake any day.

I also tend to like the lightly rum-topped va/pers and latakia blends, but as someone already said I don't really consider that an aromatic.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
It's always been a favorite. When you blog and thread here called it out, I picked up thirty tins to stay ahead of the potential frenzy.
30 tins !!. Do you think that is enough? Of course as big as some of your pipes are you can probably stick a tin in one pipe. How long does it take you to finish a tin? Keep on smoking, my friend.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It's always been a favorite. When you blog and thread here called it out, I picked up thirty tins to stay ahead of the potential frenzy.
The New Orleans Pipe Club was given a tin to sample when it first hit the market. I bought five tins and added a tin a month after that when it was available. Now I'm down to my last tin.

I've had pipe smokers who claimed to smoke the original and say it's not even close to what they remember.
I've also had some who say it is close to what they remember.

If I would have know it was going out of production after Mark Ryan sold D&R and the Perique facility in St. James Parish, I would have bought a lot more of it.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I smoked one pipe for years, blissfully unaware that pipe smoking was anything more than owning a pipe and cramming it full of tobacco and setting it ablaze. I smoked Admirals Choice Vanilla Cavendish by the pound. Its what the Food Lion by my house sold, I was perfectly happy to do so.

One day a perusing of the internet led me down the path to where I'm at now... 300+ pipes later, I still enjoy aro's occasionally. I'm a big fan of HGL, RLP6, SWR Aro, 3⭐ Blue, I also smoked Blenders Gold Toasted Burley/golden cavendish mixed 50/50 for along time. I miss that one, it went the way of the Dodo when Walgreens stopped selling tobacco.:cry:

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
The tonquin in 1792 is the only obnoxiously strong flavoring I like. I also enjoy whatever is in the Lakeland sauce in the more sparingly flavored G&H blends. I like blends with notes of anise/licorice. Not a fan of sweet desert flavors like chocolate or fruits like cherries or berries. I thought peach would be nice, but I've tried all or most of whats out there and none really come close to what I had hoped they would be. I like the apricot in Stanwell's Melange and whatever Rattray's did in their exotic orange blend pushes all the buttons for me. Others have mentioned plum. I'm a fan of Royal Yacht, but I don't get plum from it. There is something there and I like it. Perhaps it IS plum but my unrefined palate of a goat just cant tell.

Reactions: WVOldFart
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
This is tough. My favorites are blends id consider slightly aromatic. Things like Capstan, Astleys 44 and 109. A little heavier topping blends would be Country Squire Cowboy Coffee or Merriweather. C&d Eight State Burley and House Reserve. Mcconell Red VA. A few of the F&T flakes for sure. Savinelli Brunello Flake. Can't not mention Royal Yacht. And of course the Lakeland essence. So many others

The common denominator? A mild topping that never overpowers the Virginias (or burley) yet adds a pleasant sweetness that work with and help brighten components of the blend.
I can't actually do a true aromatic except some Gawith blends, Warped the Red Hunt, and a home blend I made.

Reactions: WVOldFart