PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
What are your top actors and actresses? Maybe a list of your ten favorite of each?

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Here are mine...
Actors

John Wayne

Charlton Heston

Audie Murphy

Yakima Canutt

James Stewart

Walter Brennan

Gary Cooper

Glenn Ford

James Cagney

Randolph Scott

Robert Mitchum

Alan Ladd

Burt Lancaster

Rex Harrison

Clark Gable
Actresses

Ingrid Bergman

Deanna Durbin

Audrey Hepburn

Deborah Kerr

Jean Simmons

Janet Leigh

Maureen O'Hara

Judy Holliday

Katharine Hepburn

Laraine Day

Elsa Martinelli

Dorothy MacGuire

Ann Blyth

Gia Scala

Barbara Stanwyck

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Actors: Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Fred Astaire, Cary Grant, and Frank Sinatra.

Actresses: Dorthy Lamour, Lucy Ball, Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Ingrid Bergman, Judy Garland, and Lauren Bacall.

I'm probably forgetting some of the actors I like, but this is off the top of my head.

~Ron

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Bing Crosby, Clark Gable, Jeff Daniels, Basil Rathbone, Johnny Depp, Burt Reynolds, John Candy, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee,

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Clint Eastwood, Paul Newman, Sean Connery, Steve McQueen, Robert DeNiro, John Cusack, Denzel Washington, Robert Duvall, Robert Redford, and the Duke. I'm not too picky about the ladies, but I do like Helen Mirren, Julia Roberts, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Sandra Bullock and Judy Dench.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
John Wayne

Charlton Heston

Carey Grant

William Powell

Sean Connery

Denzel Washington

Sam Elliott
Myrna Loy

Maureen O'Hara

Helen Mirren

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Marilyn Monroe, Maureen O'Hara, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, a young Elizabeth Taylor of the prior generation.
From this current crop, Scarlett Johansen, Charlize Theron, Amy Adams.
Actors from my younger days: The Duke, Bogie, Cary Grant, James Mason, A whole slew of Irish character actors, McQueen, Connery,
Current actors, Clooney, Hanks, Ford, Damon, Denzel and -- to my surprise -- Decaprio (see "Blood Diamond" and "The Departed.")

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Anthony Hopkins, Johnny Depp, Willem DeFoe, Gary Oldman, Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, Liam Neeson, Norman Reedus, Nathon Fillion, Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch, David Tennant, James McAvoy, Tommy Lee Jones, John Malkovich... Probably more I'm not thining of. I've not really seen an actress I thought was extremely talented, or if I have I never remember their names. In my opinion, modern film is partly to blame in how female roles are written, etc, and I'm not hugely versed in older movies.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
HARRISON FORD!
I'll get a longer list later at my PC, but am shocked no one has mentioned my all time favorite yet!
Edit: I guess tslax did...but still, he should be getting more praise.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Tom_Doniphon-John-Wayne.jpg

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Johnny Depp doesn't even like Hollywood, and is a fantastic and very talented actor. Edward Scissorhands? Fear and Loathing? Donnie Brasco? The Libertine? Pirates 1? Maybe the other pirates films as well, but gosh, just about any of his films are just superb. And, yes, because of him and his acting.
:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are a number of younger actors (male and female) that I like to see on their way up.

Two of my senior thespian favorites are Anthony Hopkins and Judy Dench. Hopkins takes

some lesser roles, but he always does them with patience and great craft, and he really takes

custody of the screen. Judy seems to be able to pick and choose more, and even in some

relatively light roles, like a British sitcom, she really delivers the character. Charlie Chaplin

was a master; trained as an acrobat when he was young, he does remarkable body language,

and can dance and roller skate with amazing skill. James Cagney and Bob Hope were both

dancers in their youth and could tap dance with the best of them into middle age.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Some great choices here and I like most of them, but how did KEVIN SPACEY not make anyone's list??? One of my all-time favorites! And I'm not sure if he is a Hollywood creation or not, but Johnny Depp was flat-out spectacular in "Blow." In fact, like Gary Oldman, Depp always looks so "different" for each movie he's in. Agreed with MSO about Chaplin--incredible talent.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
A lot of Depp's stuff is terrible, I agree. However, watch something like The Secret Window-he really can act.

Also, I did forget Daniel Day Lewis, then proceeded to list There Will Be Blood as one of my favorite movies (kicks self).

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
John Wayne

William Powell

Gary Cooper

Humphrey Bogart

Robert Duvall

Clark Gable

Sean Connery

Steve McQueen

Clint Eastwood

Fred Astaire
Maureen O'Hara

Elizabeth Taylor

Ingrid Bergmann

Myrna Loy

Ginger Rogers

Marilyn Monroe

Sophia Loren

Ann-Margaret

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
How could I have forgotten Robert Duvall??? While not my absolute favorites, I do enjoy watching Robert Downey Jr and Clint Eastwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.