PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Never tried a charcoal filter. I like the balsa wood ones in my Grabows. How many smokes do you get with a charcoal one before you need to change it?

Reactions: indoeuro

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I use Savinelli charcoal filters mainly in cobs and Grabows and change the filter on average after four bowls.Filters with five holes either end are better than some brands with three as they tend to clog up after one or two bowls

Reactions: OverMountain

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
I have white elephant charcoal 6mm filters, to be honest …not all that charmed, they restrict the flow heavily. The 9mm version is lovely. The 6mm ….not so much, Dr Perl is much nicer, have not tried Savinelli 6mm yet

Reactions: Osirus

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
About 3 to 4 medium sized bowls
Wow, I average 1-2. Maybe its the tobacco and the size of the bowl... mine are large bowls and wetter aromatics. I have only used Savinelli. Depending on the pipe though ... some pipes work better with Balsa in my limited experience. But I don't have enough empirical evidence to make a recommendation as to which is better.

Reactions: marconi

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
ill have to look into the dr Perl 6mm. I throw mine out every smoke but I hear many people say they are good for 3 or 4 bowls. When I replace mine, they are notably wetter than before the first smoke. The Sav charcoal will rattle when they are fresh and clump up after use.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
In the 6mm I've only used Savinelli's. However, in the 9mm, which I prefer, I've used Peterson, White Elephant and Vauen, and can't tell the slightest difference between the three.

Reactions: yanoJL

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
I got a pack of the 6mm White Elephant charcoal filters, and they restrict the draw a lot, like I almost can't even use them. I've read about it and the White Elephants only have 3 small holes on the ends. The Savinelli 6mm have 5 holes, while the Dr. Perl ones have about 7. I think I'll try the Dr. Perl ones if I can find them. I like a bit of a restricted draw (9mm charcoals provide about the perfect draw for me). I have a few boxes of the 6mm Medico paper filters and they work great, but I prefer having charcoal.

Summary: I would not bother with the 6mm White Elephants.

Reactions: Bob the bear

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I have only tried savenelli. Any other recommended brands? i use them in my cobs and Grabows. To me, the charcoal lets me get more taste and cooler smoke.
If you like 6MM balsa and have problem finding Sav type, someone mentioned Hobby Lobby that stocks square 5 packs 36 in long. Easy cut that works well for me in the dry system pipes. Much cheaper and be trimmed if needed for easy flow. Cost $6.

Reactions: Bob the bear

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
If you like 6MM balsa and have problem finding Sav type, someone mentioned Hobby Lobby that stocks square 5 packs 36 in long. Easy cut that works well for me in the dry system pipes. Much cheaper and be trimmed if needed for easy flow. Cost $6.
Yep. That works a treat. Triangular 6mm strip it's called. You also get it in 1/4 inch (6.4mm) thatmight not fit though. Have not tried the imperial. Sized version. Only the metric

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Smokingpipes.com has the 6mm and 9mm Savinelli balsa in stock right now. They are hard to find and expensive some places. I ordered a small pack to try them out.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Soooo tried the Savinelli 6mm and the draw is quite a bit better than the white elephant. Substantially so. As for longevity (number of uses) about the same as the white elephant 3 to 4 medium bowls. I have not tried balsa, but for now I will be using the Savinelli 6mm canister type filters

Reactions: marconi and Osirus

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Soooo tried the Savinelli 6mm and the draw is quite a bit better than the white elephant. Substantially so. As for longevity (number of uses) about the same as the white elephant 3 to 4 medium bowls. I have not tried balsa, but for now I will be using the Savinelli 6mm canister type filters
That is great to know! I just ordered both some 6mm balsa and some 6mm Savinelli charcoal filters. I've never tried balsa but I wanted to at least try them. I was hoping the Sav. 6mm charcoals flowed better, they do have more holes on the caps (5 vs 3) because the white elephants are almost unusable. If I "roll" them around a bit before use, the flow is better but I get charcoal dust in my mouth for the first few puffs...

Reactions: OverMountain

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
The 5 hole Sav charcoal filters work well. I think I’m getting more flavor after one use without changing the filter. Almost like the charcoal isn’t as super absorbent on the second go...while still controlling moisture.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
The 5 hole Sav charcoal filters work well. I think I’m getting more flavor after one use without changing the filter. Almost like the charcoal isn’t as super absorbent on the second go...while still controlling moisture.
Agreed, I just got a pack of the 6mm Savinelli charcoal filters today and they flow pretty good, much better than the White Elephant "superflow" ones. Got me thinking, are they supposed to go in a certain direction, like the Vauen 9mm filters are supposed to have the blue on the stem side?

I also noticed the Savinellis were a tad shorter than the White Elephants, maybe the WE were too close to the shank (if I'm using the correct term)? I pushed the WE in a bit further in the tenon and it seemed a bit better, but I worry that when removing afterwards when they're soaked with "stuff" that they're going to rip or tear. I'll just plan to order the Savinellis from now on (if they remain available) but I'm going to try to use the WE in the cobs, they seem better in those for some reason.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Five holes either end are better than three for air flow IMO.So I use Savinelli in cobs and Grabows they never seem to clog up.Only downside is cost and availability.