PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
We are big Nawlins fans, going at least once a year. I’ve always wondered how they have stayed in business, because beignets taste like powdered biscuits to me. But, I don’t mind chicory. It’s better than the burned acorns they used to use. I can’t stand chicory in my salad though, nor dandelions. Chicory, burnt acorns, and dandelions; that was all stuff Southerners started using durring the civil war. When they ran out of food, they started eating the damned weeds. But, I guess it’s like escargot was in France during the War. No food so they ate the snails in the vineyards.

I like Italian chicory, Puntarelle, makes a nice salad with an anchovy dressing. Traditionally you soak it in cold water then sort of zip it with a knife which makes it cure. Endive is nice too (related I believe), in bechamel sauce to make a gratin.

I've been to Cafe du Monde, sort of a tourist must see, too long ago to have an opinion but much to love about New Orleans, probably the only real American culinary capitol.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Chicory in coffee is very good! Make some cold brew out of that du monde. It makes the best cold brew. A little simple syrup and cream, that’s a great drink. Brings me back to my uncles in Manhattan, he would make those for us every Christmas morning, after the huge seven fish dinner. I digress..

I really enjoy oolong tea and sutliff’s voodoo queen. Great combo in morning especially

Reactions: Apipeinthewoods

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
Irish cream coffee in the US isn't really a thing. Ever hear of an Irish car bomb? I doubt any bar in Ireland would find that to be an appropriate name for a drink...

I had to google it and can see its causing quite a stir. I have never tried it, but I think it probably sounds worse than it might taste.
You would often see elderly folk alternating with a pint of Guiness and a glass of whiskey. All that's missing is the alcoholic milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.