PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm a big fan of shag-cut tobaccos, which has significant overlap with some very old-style tobaccos of the sort that used to be sold for pipes or for rolling into cigarettes.

A shag in a cob is an excellent combo, in my experience. Also a cutty or belge. Some of my favorite shag-cut tobaccos include Penny Farthing, Ryback, and Three Sails. I have a half-pound of Kendal Gold coming in the mail, which I was told is a step up from Three Sails, but in a similar vein.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Kendal Gold is wonderfull along with Peter Stokebye's Amsterdam in a shag cut . I can get the Amsterdam shag in a liquor shops near me. Look around where the ryo tobacco is and thats where I found it. Another one I've not yet tried yet that they carry is Bali Shag Blue. Would love to know if anyone has tried this.

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
I'm a big fan of shag-cut tobaccos, which has significant overlap with some very old-style tobaccos of the sort that used to be sold for pipes or for rolling into cigarettes.

A shag in a cob is an excellent combo, in my experience. Also a cutty or belge. Some of my favorite shag-cut tobaccos include Penny Farthing, Ryback, and Three Sails. I have a half-pound of Kendal Gold coming in the mail, which I was told is a step up from Three Sails, but in a similar vein.
For sure! I just got ahold of a little Butz Choquin belge that is fast becoming a dedicated shag pipe.

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
Kendal Gold is wonderfull along with Peter Stokebye's Amsterdam in a shag cut . I can get the Amsterdam shag in a liquor shops near me. Look around where the ryo tobacco is and thats where I found it. Another one I've not yet tried yet that they carry is Bali Shag Blue. Would love to know if anyone has tried this.
Ah yes, Stokkebye’s shag cuts are great. I’ve been using their London export for cigarettes for years, but the taxes where I live make it hard to justify buying in pipe-friendly quantities.

Reactions: niblicck

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Ah yes, Stokkebye’s shag cuts are great. I’ve been using their London export for cigarettes for years, but the taxes where I live make it hard to justify buying in pipe-friendly quantities.
I ordered also the Danish export and Turkish bulk from S.P. but it is more of a ribbon. I am goimg to try one of those hand held tobacco grinders from a vape/tobacco shop to see if I can turn it into more of a shag cut now that I'm thinking about it. I will stop on the way home from work and pick one up and report back this evening on if if works or not.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Interesting varying opinions. Shag cuts are some of my favorites, as I find them particularly easy to smoke and they require little relighting or effort.

I usually pack tighter, and smoke slower. Packed too loosely it evaporates into hot air instantly.

shughes0212

Lurker
Apr 16, 2021
This. Much of pipe smoking is just "walking around with a pipe in your mouth", and shag cuts even more so. I very rarely puff when smoking a shag, I just let the smoke drift into my mouth.
I like that a lot: just letting your normal breathing draw the smoke rather than specifically pulling on it.