PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Great looking pipes guys. Keep up the good work buying Jack's pipes. The more we buy the cheaper he can keep his prices.

Well, I don’t know when he last sold the Brindle Bulldog for $295, it’s what the website shows, but he said they are now $325.

I really like the Ring pattern on this Oval Dublin.

I asked to get a similar pattern on the Brindle Bulldog, he said he can’t make it like that, explaining how each pipe is hand done, etc., which of course I understand how another pipe isn’t going to be 100% identical.

Jose Rubio as an example makes ring patterns on many of his pipes all very similar, which is his Signature Look, so I’m not sure why Mr. Howell won’t replicate a pattern like this.

I’ll just have to wait and see how it turns out, I just hope I can get a nice similar ring pattern.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You talking about ring grain blasts?

View attachment 79217

Yep, Ring Grain blast(s) like the Oval Dublin I posted a link of, have a look at it, it’s really nice.

Like this... ;)

This makes me drool! LOL rotf Not really, but boy oh boy does the ring blast on this pic look really sweet.! :)

Really nice how it also goes from the heel up along the shank too...

3F41FF67-4334-4EDA-8919-421099FAF7B8.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, Ring Grain blast(s) like the Oval Dublin I posted a link of, have a look at it, it’s really nice.

Like this... ;)

This makes me drool! LOL rotf Not really, but boy oh boy does the ring blast on this pic look really sweet.! :)

Really nice how it also goes from the heel up along the shank too...

View attachment 79237
Reminds me of some of Bruce Weaver's work.

004-149-0214_1.9082.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, I don’t know when he last sold the Brindle Bulldog for $295, it’s what the website shows, but he said they are now $325.

I really like the Ring pattern on this Oval Dublin.

I asked to get a similar pattern on the Brindle Bulldog, he said he can’t make it like that, explaining how each pipe is hand done, etc., which of course I understand how another pipe isn’t going to be 100% identical.

Jose Rubio as an example makes ring patterns on many of his pipes all very similar, which is his Signature Look, so I’m not sure why Mr. Howell won’t replicate a pattern like this.

I’ll just have to wait and see how it turns out, I just hope I can get a nice similar ring pattern.
I believe they use a different blasting technique. The Carver cannot always guarantee the grain on the briar will perfectly cooperate.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'd love to own one of those J Howell's but unfortunately our Customs Authorities sure will ensure that all this will become rather cost prohibitive affair,
let say an original 330$ pipe after shipping and all another sauces' are added will set you back for around 450$-480
yes, that's right, I have been charged in taxes and VAT 103 euros more, the cost of this pipe was 325 USD, with taxes became more than 450 USD.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
yes, that's right, I have been charged in taxes and VAT 103 euros more, the cost of this pipe was 325 USD, with taxes became more than 450 USD.
over the years I have been paying taxes for every fricking pipe and other items from the US, our Customs would never sleep, and nor does our HighwayPatrol, just today got a ticket for speeding in a sum of 250e,:ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: Gus and PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I believe they use a different blasting technique. The Carver cannot always guarantee the grain on the briar will perfectly cooperate.

I was just looking at like how Rubio always produces that heavy ring/scale look that is his signature look. Of course these patterns are never 100% identical, but the overall look/style, Mr. Rubio reproduces it.

So when I saw this ring blast on the Howell, I know it would not look 100% identical, but I assumed it could be reproduced to some level or another with some similarities.

I asked Mr. Howell about this, I’m not sure if he fully understood what I was asking, but he made it seem like it can’t even vaguely produce something with a somewhat similar look at all, as if this happened by chance/luck.

There are carvers that repeat patterns over and over, so I was at a loss, as to why I couldn’t get Mr. Howell to do this, even if he has a different technique to it, it should be somewhat reproduced.

Look at Andrea Gigliucci pipes on his site, in his archive he repeats patterns over.

Hmm ?

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierpipeguy