PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Nice pick-up ofafeather....I thought about that one this am as well. I have a paneled magnum Acorn commission pending soon from Jack.....I've bought two spec pipes and one one commission and they've all been aces. I'm sure it will be a terrific smoker for you!

Usually when carvers come up in the forum they're folks I'm familiar with/have bought from before.....but Jack Howell was new to me vis-a-vie Hoosierpipe and Cigarmasters posts as well. In terms of value x quality I think Jesse Jones and Jack H. really crush it at the $350-$400 level (and both for sure can whip up more expensive commisions well worth it....but talking 'average' release) Rad Davis and Bill Walther right there as well.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I’m a huge fan of Jack’s work. I thought it terrific when we first met about a decade ago and it’s improved consistently and significantly ever since.

Here are a few of my pipes from Jack:

One of the earlier ones I bought, his classic rusticated take on a Zulu:

E0B7C80C-A077-43CD-829B-A447F57BD9E9.jpeg

Second, a commissioned Lumberman:

F4E5DC96-D446-4F13-8B87-90497B3708D5.jpeg

Third, a commissioned Liverpool:

EB12C818-43B3-4567-AACD-B9E95E86C294.jpeg

Another shot of the Liverpool:

67119EBC-2000-4E07-B155-9DE3FE2B228C.jpeg

Fourth, a Tavern pipe:

84F9F697-4C35-44EF-B158-0BA6780121A1.jpeg

And fifth, a commissioned Canadian:

1614473475699.jpeg

As you can see, I have a real weakness for his sandblasts. I have others lying around (a Ukulele, the two Comoys he did as P4P POYs, and most valuable of all to me a stubby little bugger that I bought out from under Neill Roan’s nose Jack’s first year at the Chicago Show), but for all those I have no pictures handy.

There are many talented carvers working today and comparisons are mostly pointless. I’ll just say for my money Jack is in the top tier. He makes an incredible pipe, and has equal facility with classic (my taste) and modern shapes. He’s a joy to work with on commissions and I’d strongly recommend him without hesitation to anyone looking for an artisan pipe.

Last edited:

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
He estado yendo y viniendo sobre encargar una tubería a Jack. Dudé porque es más de lo que normalmente gastaría en una pipa, pero también porque estaba indeciso sobre lo que quería exactamente. Hoy esta belleza apareció en su sitio y la puse en mi carrito unas 15 veces diferentes. Fui hasta la caja al menos 4 veces en varios dispositivos. Finalmente, después de unas 5 horas apreté el gatillo. ¡En unos 20 minutos se envió el paquete! ¡No puedo esperar! Hombre, este sitio es peligroso.?
View attachment 67810
s beauty, enjoy it wiith health

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009

PipeLoverInPA

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2020
I’m a huge fan of Jack’s work. I thought it terrific when we first met about a decade ago and it’s improved consistently and significantly ever since.

View attachment 68300

View attachment 68301

View attachment 68302

View attachment 68305

Fourth, a Tavern pipe:

View attachment 68303

View attachment 68306

As you can see, I have a real weakness for his sandblasts. I have others lying around (a Ukulele, the two Comoys he did as P4P POYs, and most valuable of all to me a stubby little bugger that I bought out from under Neill Roan’s nose Jack’s first year at the Chicago Show), but for all those I have no pictures handy.

There are many talented carvers working today and comparisons are mostly pointless. I’ll just say for my money Jack is in the top tier. He makes an incredible pipe, and has equal facility with classic (my taste) and modern shapes. He’s a joy to work with on commissions and I’d strongly recommend him without hesitation to anyone looking for an artisan pipe.

Niiiiiiiiice! Sweet pipes sir. ?

Dottleganger

Lurker
Dec 22, 2019
Monroe, VA

View attachment 68300

View attachment 68301

View attachment 68302

View attachment 68305

Fourth, a Tavern pipe:

View attachment 68303

View attachment 68306

View attachment 68300

View attachment 68301

View attachment 68302

View attachment 68305

Fourth, a Tavern pipe:

View attachment 68303

View attachment 68306

Looking at the music under the Liverpool, my guess is Richard Strauss’ “Also Sprach Zarathustra”

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I still can't believe how light it feels, man. Will be an excellent clench. I'm still undecided what to break it in on. I was thinking of cracking a tin of Capstan Navy Cut forthe occasion. Then again i have a tin of Cut Virginia Plug with 6 years on it. Decisions, decisions.
Funny, may first smoke in my Howell was Capstan Blue RR. A great smoke!