PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My grandfather passed a number of years ago and I figured this was lost forever!

I was talking to my uncle a few months ago and he said there were a couple of boxes n his basement he wasn't sure what was in them.

Long story short, he found my grandfather's pipe and sent it to me!

IMG_20201102_122557269.jpg

IMG_20201102_122603193.jpg

IMG_20201102_122626348.jpg

IMG_20201102_122614103.jpg

I think I'm going to give it a little clean and have a smoke in it. Then, I don't know. Maybe send it out for a professional cleaning. Or put it in my display case and enjoy it as is. Decisions, decisions...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That’s way cool man is that Shakespeare?!
I’d just clean the rim with a wet paper towel, polish the stem and smoke it!

I wish I had a pipe of my grandpa’s! Though I think I remember seeing one and if it was representative of condition, maybe I wouldn’t have wanted one. ?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Here's what I found on pipephil:

The heirloom pipes were hand-carved briar heads and correspond to a re-introduction of the carved heads Kaywoodie produced in the 1930's. Heirloom pipes produced in the late 1950's until 1963 were available in 3 carvings: the nobleman (pipe above), the satan and the prophet. According to Dennis Moore they were carved by Charlie Ware († 1963) at the Kaywoodie plant.

Funny that I called it an heirloom and as it turns out it is!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that was made in the time when Kaywoodie was the premier pipe in the U.S. and cost more than Dunhills of that time. That's an especially interesting example, a briar figural carved like a Meerschaum. Many family heirlooms are more ordinary. My dad always smoked one pipe, continuously, until it burned out with big cracks the height of the bowl. If there were any pipes passed along from my grandfather, I guess they ended that way. However, I did inherit a walnut ten-pipe stand with an amber colored tobacco bowl, passed down from my grandfather, to my dad, to me -- rescued from an upper kitchen shelf by my sister.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Pretty cool. None of my older family members smoked pipes. Cigars and cigarettes don’t usually provide for any sentimental hand-me-downs, other than perhaps a lighter, unfortunately.

Reactions: weezell

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Super cool. Nice one!

One of the first pipes I ever cleaned up was my Grandmother’s Butz Choquin mini-warden.

It will only take half a flake, but every time I see the pipe I can see her smoking it at the dining room table after breakfast with a huge cup o’ Joe in front of her.

— Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just seeing this - awesome, definitely an heirloom and collectible Kaywoodie. Is the stinger still intact?
Do you have any idea on what area shop he might have used, or what was his favorite tobacco? That special Kaywoodie would not have been available at the local drug store. If you contact Bill Feurbach thru the Kaywoodie site, he'll definitely give you additional info and I'm sure be delighted to hear your story.