PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
The big boss (wife) gave me permission to smoke in my newly created man cave. Unfortunately, we don't have a basement so, the room is off the master-bedroom upstairs.

I'd imagine Latakia-heavy blends are a no-go (known to my wife as "burnt" smelling). Are there others that are nice, full smokes that have a nice room note? Don't want to just smoke aro's.

Any tips are appreciated as I've convinced her that will be no big deal. What I wasn't sure about I made up.

Also, do those smoking candles work?

Thank you.

Reactions: Pipelady20

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My wife hates the aroma of pipe tobacco. I smoke in the house because I'm 73 yrs old and I'm not about to go outside in the cold to smoke a pipe. If it's not too hot & humid in the summer I'll smoke outside. I can hardly breathe in hot & humid weather. I don't use candles but I do use an air filter right next to my desk in the den where I smoke. I've even smoke strong English blends in the den and with the air filter going my wife can't smell the tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The big boss (wife) gave me permission to smoke in my newly created man cave.
thumb_your-man-card-is-revoked-memegenerator-net-your-man-card-is-revoked-52667936.png

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I smoke inside. My wife refers to lat blends as "campfire". She doesn't mind it. The only blend she's ever said stinks was Dreams of Kadath. I would imagine a good Virginia or VA/Per blend may be the ticket. Union Square or Kajun Kake? Mississippi River has a pretty good room note as well. Hol O' The Wynd might work well too.

Reactions: newportpipe

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
My wife hates the aroma of pipe tobacco. I smoke in the house because I'm 73 yrs old and I'm not about to go outside in the cold to smoke a pipe. If it's not too hot & humid in the summer I'll smoke outside. I can hardly breathe in hot & humid weather. I don't use candles but I do use an air filter right next to my desk in the den where I smoke. I've even smoke strong English blends in the den and with the air filter going my wife can't smell the tobacco.
Does the filter remove the smell?

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Rattray's Bag Piper's Dream (in stock @SPC)

Dan Tobacco Blue Note & Devil's Holiday

MacBaren Vaniila Cream Flake

Milan Tobacco also has few like Sunset Rum

Those are aros that have a decent tobacco backbone and the wife likes.

She also likes VaPers/Orientals but a lot of them are McClellands.

Another is GL Pease Sixpence, she likes the room note and I enjoy it. Also, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

Aside from over the top aros, I think what someone (non-smoker) prefers room-note wise is somewhat specific just like our tobacco taste preferences when smoking.

Reactions: newportpipe

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
A window exhaust fan to create negative pressure in the room works wonders to remove smoke/smell...regardless of what blend you smoke (assuming you have a window in the room). Worth a try - works great for me in my basement smoking room. I find little effect on heating/cooling in the room fwiw...

Reactions: lawdawg

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
...forgot to add...
I’ve used a small ozone machine (+/- $80?) to completely eliminate ALL odors from any room or car. 10-15 minutes for a car or 12x15 room is all it takes. DO NOT be in the space when running (nor pets or plants). Yes, it’s that effective. Smells like the room was entirely “bleached” for a bit thereafter...
Example:

Reactions: Pipelady20

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Rattray's Bag Piper's Dream (in stock @SPC)

Dan Tobacco Blue Note & Devil's Holiday

MacBaren Vaniila Cream Flake

Milan Tobacco also has few like Sunset Rum

Those are aros that have a decent tobacco backbone and the wife likes.

She also likes VaPers/Orientals but a lot of them are McClellands.

Another is GL Pease Sixpence, she likes the room note and I enjoy it. Also, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

Aside from over the top aros, I think what someone (non-smoker) prefers room-note wise is somewhat specific just like our tobacco taste preferences when smoking.
Bagpipers is something I have cellared. Good to know.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
...forgot to add...
I’ve used a small ozone machine (+/- $80?) to completely eliminate ALL odors from any room or car. 10-15 minutes for a car or 12x15 room is all it takes. DO NOT be in the space when running (nor pets or plants). Yes, it’s that effective. Smells like the room was entirely “bleached” for a bit thereafter...
Example:
Ah. I know that ozone is used for cleaning dirty pipes. Why can you not be in the room when it’s running? Serious question.

Status
Not open for further replies.