PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
People read someone's account of the wonders and transformation they underwent while smoking a bowl of Slobovia Supreme, and others will jump on the Slobovia wagon. Viva Slobovia! Rampant FOMO (for you semi literates out there FOMO = Fear Of Missing Out) is part of a forum experience.
Slobovia: how wonderful! Might just be a country in Eastern Europe, small and tucked away in a corner.

As a rule the US hardly knows that Eastern Europe exists, a designation given only England, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain and Scandinavia, their meager GNPs unworthy of economic collaboration or subordination.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Variety is the spice of my tobacco life. I have probably over 100 jars that I rotate through. Part of it is that when I explore a blend type, I tend to order a number of different examples, often in bulk (value!), and here in the Sonoran Desert it's necessary for anything that is in bulk or in an opened tin to go in a jar relatively quickly, or else it will dry to a crisp within days.
I rotate through at least 20-30 blends per month, generally with no rhyme or reason other than sticking with similar themes for a few days at a time.

I told myself a couple of months ago that I wouldn't open any new tins until I finish some jars, and other than my SS gifts, which I HAD to try, I'm doing pretty well with that.
Be careful! Limiting the number of tobaccos you smoke, like the loss of hearing, is often associated with incipient dementia.

Reactions: Scottishgaucho

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My tendency is to jump from blend to blend throughout the day. It takes an effort for me to finish an open tin (or jar) even of blends I quite enjoy, before opening something new. Sometimes it's a pattern such as Burley first thing in the morning. Va/VaPer later in the day. Latakia/Oriental at night.

I recently managed to focus on 2 blends (almost) exclusively for a few days (couldn't make it a week), and found that I enjoyed the growing familiarity.

How do other forumites feel about this? Perhaps you open a couple of tins and work them till they're done, or perhaps you jump around from blend to blend and genre to genre. I'd love to hear what and why, if you're minded to share.
I try to only have a few blends I am working through. I find you really do get to know a blend better when you stick with it for a while. I think about it kind of like hanging out with a person. Some all people are different from each other. Some you aren't really going to know too well unless you spend a lot of time with them. And some people are only fun to see every so many weekends. But lately I tend to really have a few open tins which I go through mainly with a few others that it takes a while before I have another bowl.
And just wanted to also add. This is one of the things I love about this practice of pipe smoking. You can go about it however tickles your fancy. Whatever makes you happiest.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
People read someone's account of the wonders and transformation they underwent while smoking a bowl of Slobovia Supreme, and others will jump on the Slobovia wagon. Viva Slobovia! Rampant FOMO (for you semi literates out there FOMO = Fear Of Missing Out) is part of a forum experience.
Do you still have any Slobovia Supreme left? I mean, I'll pay good money for that leaf!

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Slobovia: how wonderful! Might just be a country in Eastern Europe, small and tucked away in a corner.

As a rule the US hardly knows that Eastern Europe exists, a designation given only England, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain and Scandinavia, their meager GNPs unworthy of economic collaboration or subordination.

Well, I learned about Elbonia's existence from Dilbert comics.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I've been leaning in the direction of one tin at a time, and paying attention to that tobacco until the tin is empty before moving on. Gives me time to better understand the nuances of the blend.

...and, it's part of my relentless effort to simplify and de-clutter my life.

...and the economic fallout of the pandemic has me being super respectful of 'what I have'. I'm a bit more thoughtful than I once was about popping a tin of something that's gotten a fair amount more expensive/harder to get...or popping a tin of something that's no longer available and is worth 5x to 20x (not kidding) more than what it originally cost me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
My tendency is to jump from blend to blend throughout the day. It takes an effort for me to finish an open tin (or jar) even of blends I quite enjoy, before opening something new. Sometimes it's a pattern such as Burley first thing in the morning. Va/VaPer later in the day. Latakia/Oriental at night.

I recently managed to focus on 2 blends (almost) exclusively for a few days (couldn't make it a week), and found that I enjoyed the growing familiarity.

How do other forumites feel about this? Perhaps you open a couple of tins and work them till they're done, or perhaps you jump around from blend to blend and genre to genre. I'd love to hear what and why, if you're minded to share.
I'm just like you. I'll typically start with lighter blends earlier in the day and then just stack onto my palate until I'm smoking Latakia by the end of the day. I'm trying to work through my bazillion open tins and cans before opening anything new. Then there's the ziplock bags full of samples from people. It'll be 6 months before I get through all of it and can justify cracking a new tin or jar.

Reactions: UncleRasta

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have 20-25 open tins at all times and then maybe have a 1/2 dozen bulks available as well. I smoke 4-6 bowls a day and I never smoke the same blend in a day or the same pipe in a day. All of my blends are dedicated to certain genres of tobacco and I also have specific blends dedicate to a specific pipe. For example I have currently been smoking my 2007 Stonehaven in one of my Jack Howell Billiards.
I have pipes that smoke some dark Virginia's like 2012 Astleys no 44 Dark Flake or 2012 Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. I have some pipes that only smoke my 2011 Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls and some pipes smoke my 2008 Escudo. I have no problem keeping these older blends perfectly humidified as I keep them in their original tins and then keep them in these tupperware like tubs that will keep the tobacco fresh for at least a year to 2.

I have bulk blends like 2012 Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes in certain pipes. I only carry 43 or so different blends and don't have hundreds of blends like many of you guys have. I can barely remember my own name much less having 100 plus different blends. It did take years to finally come up with a cellar that is manageable. I tried so many different blends years ago and it took years to cut it down to a number I am comfortable with.

I break down my cellar into genres and specific blends . I have about 22 Virginia flakes, 10 Virginia/Periques flakes and 10 or so Virginia/Burley/Kentucky flakes I have 2 aromatics for when non smokers come to my house and actually enjoy the aroma. I remember years ago when I would have 60-70 different blends and found that I barely ever smoked many of them.

It is fun in the beginning when you are new and want to try everything looking for that special blend. I began smoking pipes in 1997 or so and it took me till about 2012-2013 to fill my cellar with my favorites. Back in 2015-2017 I added a few more to the collection but now if it is not 15-20 years old, I won't bother with it. There is one blend I love that I will pay decent money for as I am down to my last 2 1998 tins. I have been doing well getting 2004-2006 tins of that blend and they smoke almost just as well as the 98's. The only real difference is the 98's are a bit sweeter and smoother .

• Wow
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Usually, I jump around between different mixtures and tobacco.For the past two weeks, however,I've been smoking the Vincent Manil,Gawith and Hogarth Sweet Black Cherry Twist, and my Cornell and Diehl Kelly's Coin exclusively. I have too many open jars,and have been trying to smoke through a few of them.I like the flavors,but if burnout sets in,I'll change it out.16108374989684181688684238925740.jpg1610837451696787602666253350098.jpg16108375506051465059311940676361.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I find that most of is fall into one of 3 categories, with exceptions, of course. The first group I call Adventure Seekers. These are the folks that have many pipes, sometimes in the hundreds, by many makers in 50 different shapes, finishes, etc. In regards to tobacco, they are more likely to have 1 tin of 50 different blends, and are always seeking the "next great thing ". The adventure is a big part of the hobby to them. Bravo!
Another group are the Collectors. These folks have pipes fitting into certain categories, maybe pipes by a certain maker during a particular era, or pipes of the same shape, or say, pre WWII pipes, whatever they are, etc. Regarding tobacco, Collectors, to my mind, are the ones likely to have a very organized cellar full of well aged and aging blends, often of blends that haven't been around for a long time.
Then there are the Codgers, or Smokers. These folks, to me, are those of us who have figured out that we only like certain pipes, from certain makers, that are a certain shape and size. They have discovered what works best for them, and they stick to that. In terms of tobacco, they seek comfort in the well loved and familiar. They may only smoke a few favorites, or even a single blend. They have no need of adventure or change. Most of us go through more than one of these stages during our journey. Some eventually reach their destination, for others, the adventure never ends. Again, Bravo! Do what you like. Be who you are. Never compromise because of the opinions of others!

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I find that most of is fall into one of 3 categories, with exceptions, of course. The first group I call Adventure Seekers. These are the folks that have many pipes, sometimes in the hundreds, by many makers in 50 different shapes, finishes, etc. In regards to tobacco, they are more likely to have 1 tin of 50 different blends, and are always seeking the "next great thing ". The adventure is a big part of the hobby to them. Bravo!
Another group are the Collectors. These folks have pipes fitting into certain categories, maybe pipes by a certain maker during a particular era, or pipes of the same shape, or say, pre WWII pipes, whatever they are, etc. Regarding tobacco, Collectors, to my mind, are the ones likely to have a very organized cellar full of well aged and aging blends, often of blends that haven't been around for a long time.
Then there are the Codgers, or Smokers. These folks, to me, are those of us who have figured out that we only like certain pipes, from certain makers, that are a certain shape and size. They have discovered what works best for them, and they stick to that. In terms of tobacco, they seek comfort in the well loved and familiar. They may only smoke a few favorites, or even a single blend. They have no need of adventure or change. Most of us go through more than one of these stages during our journey. Some eventually reach their destination, for others, the adventure never ends. Again, Bravo! Do what you like. Be who you are. Never compromise because of the opinions of others!
I wholeheartedly agree and would add that some of us float from one category into another. Used to be adventure but I’m firmly in collector

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Me, I’m a mess and getting messier all the time. I think I ever only finished two tins in my entire smoking life. One was Davidoff Royalty and the other was Samuel Gawith FVF...everything else either sits and waits or gets given away before I can finish it.

• Wow

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I flit around from blend to blend like a newly hatched butterfly. Maybe one day I’ll settle on something permanently but maybe not. Will just have to see what happens.
Well this one liked my Condor.
WP-20181128-020.jpg

WP-20181128-017.jpg

Last edited: