PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
My newest antique store purchase; a whopping $4. All I've been able to find out is that it's a Charatans second. Looks to have been smoked very little. The bore is really straight and the mortise and tenon are tight. I'll start the clean up tonight. I like Falstaff from Shakespeare, so it caught my eye.20200312_155609.jpg20200312_155620.jpg

Reactions: Bowie

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Question... is there a good method to remoisturize the stummel? There are tiny cracks in the bottom of this bowl (they look bigger in this picture). I'm not concerned with them affecting the smokability and I know a little cake will cover them. I just wonder after a salt and alcohol treatment if I should do anything to help heal the briar. 20200312_161854.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
don't use salt and alcohol in it you're going to make it smoke wet.
clean the chamber and rim with a wet paper towel.. rinse it with water inside and out and let it dry.

Those are either cracks from the briar drying or heat fissures. either way they will not hurt the pipe.
just break it in with some half bowls to get the bottom of that chamber blackened with oils and tars.

Reactions: Pierre1965
Status
Not open for further replies.