PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
20141022-165500-g_zps19b03e1c.jpg

Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, 24, was shot while on honorary guard at the National War Memorial. Ottawa Police announced hours after the shooting that the soldier shot at the memorial had died.

A reservist from Hamilton serving with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada regiment. Cirillo died a short time after the attack despite frantic efforts to revive him at the base of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The opening shots that began a devastating day on Parliament Hill killed Cirillo who dreamed of being a full-time soldier and a good father to his kindergarten-aged son.

His pictures posted on Facebook and Instagram show a man always smiling, who played guitar and loved his two large dogs. He posed for tourists shortly before he was attacked. Cirillo joined Canadian Cadet when he was 13 years old.

Lt.-Col. Lawrence Hatfield of the Argylls made a brief statement on Wednesday night to reporters and members of the public who gathered outside the James Street armoury.

"The regiment wishes to express its sincere condolences to the family of Cpl. Cirillo as well as to express our thanks that's been demonstrated by the support of Canadians across this country," he said. "Cpl. Cirillo was a very proud member of the Argylls and the Highlanders of Canada. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, and we hope that Canadians share that with us." and that he expects the fallen soldier to have a funeral with “full service honours.”

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The soldier hit by a car on Monday in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, 53 YO, also died from his injuries.

Another brave soldier taken needlessly before his time.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Sadly, canadian govt will be discussing stronger gun control,and at the very same time considering self govt to islamic areas w sharia law....in canada.

Hope they get their heads on straight toot sweet.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I lived in Malta in the early 60's, while it was still under British rule. My friends were a bit older than I was, but were Brits, Scottish Black Watch & Canadians, all professional soldiers. Utmost respect for them all, watched over my ass & tough SOB's.

Very sad that a cowardly piece of shit took real men out & condolences to them, their families & their Country.

Dec 24, 2012
Sadly, canadian govt will be discussing stronger gun control,and at the very same time considering self govt to islamic areas w sharia law....in canada.
Rubbish. Please refrain from commenting on something you don't know anything about. You know the adage: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
And that's not the point of this post in any event, so don't defile it.
Prayers for his family and young child.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
My heart aches for his mother and son. God bless him and keep him. .....and I to say it, but I hope his murderer finds an especially horrid level of Hell.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
This political cartoon - art to me - made the rounds on social media today in the U.S.
God bless you and yours, Cpl. Nathan Cirillo. You and your family will be in prayers tonight.
(I'd attribute the source if I could, so apologies made before the post. I'd ride the river with this cartoonist. This artist is as good as grass and finer than rain.)
B0ohGd7IIAAEqE3jpglarge_zps28327005.jpg
[/URl]
Fnord

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
As a Canadian Forces member I'm man enough to admit that cartoon, if it can be called that, brought tears to my eyes. Still makes me misty looking at it.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
But i do know something about it peck....thanks for your concern though.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

Hope they get their heads on straight toot sweet.
Rubbish. Please refrain from commenting on something you don't know anything about. You know the adage: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Peck, do you think Tanless1 is that far off? I don't.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@jpberg and @tanless1
Regardless of what you perceive may or may not be happening as a result of the incidents of this week, this isn't the forum for it. The minute these threads become remotely close to a political debate they get shut down. This is a thread to praise and mourn, let's not distill it to something else.
-- Pat

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^ True.
Condolences to the families. I was in Kandahar with a lot of Canadians in '06. Fun loving butt kickers, all.
Hats off.
~Wyf

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I do agree with you pruss,just felt peck was a little to quick to insult....and continue to hold my tounge.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
You havent said anything in regard to these fallen soldiers...
Please take your opinions, and apparent knowledge someplace else.
If you feel the need to turn the needless loss of life i experienced only a few blocks from my residence into a debate... PM someone.
That poor kid deserves respect...

Status
Not open for further replies.