PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I thought I'd post a few pics from the farm and share a bit about what we're doing now. 8)
We make silage by chopping corn plants and storing them in silos. The plant material undergoes a fermentation process and the starches convert to sugars. Well made silage smells exactly like a sweet Va when it comes out of the silo. The process takes about a month or so.
This method of harvest will provide us cattle feed until next hay season.
Here is a picture of the operation in the field. The tractor is pulling the chopper, which cuts the plant and passes it through a rotating drum and cutting knives and then blows the material into the towed wagon.
chopping.jpg

In this picture, one can see the whole plants going into the chopper. Its a little different angle, but gopefully you can see what is happening.
chopping2.jpg

Once the wagon is full, it is towed to the silos to be unloaded.
chopping3.jpg

The hill behind is part of our pasture. We had a blessing of three inches of rain Sunday. I can't believe how quickly the grass greened up. I think one could have burned it off prior to the rain. We've been terribly dry this year. The worst drought since 1936. The pasture is aprox. 275 acres and there are 250 head of cattle running around out there somewhere....I haven't looked at them since Sunday, so I hope they are still there. :mrgreen:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Looks like fun lol.
You allowed to smoke a pipe in that cabin? Or are you too focused?

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Too much to do. I rarely smoke while working.
I had a pipe Sunday, and part of one right while now posting this. Gawith's Best Brown Flake. :puffy:
Otherwise, its just too much hassle and I'm too busy to enjoy it.
It starts out as fun, but then it quickly turns into a grind. That's probably true of most jobs. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.