PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I read an article in the latest P&T mag about a young machinist who's started making metal-stemmed pipes. I vaguely recall having one as a new pipe smoker - probably not a Falcon, but an inexpensive variation on that theme. I'm intrigued enough to consider buying one.

What's the pros and cons on these? I know there are some rabid fans. I wouldn't mind hearing from some haters, too.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Jud, I bought a Falcon Shillelagh this past winter. I just got 3 more bowls from 4noggins. No matter what or how I smoke it the pipe and stem get very hot. It's not a bad smoke at all and cleaning it is a cinch. Just unscrew the bowl and wipe the inside with a paper towel. The little pipe cleaner filters get pretty messy after a couple of bowls but once the bowl is off you can clean the pipe in the sink.

I'm not sorry that I got it but one is enough for me.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a couple of falcons that I use as fishing pipes but I've cut about an inch out of all of mine. I'm seriously looking at getting a couple of meer bowls for mine to use as work pipes. There was a guy that was making custom metal pipes that looked pretty interesting.

http://deadguypipes.com/

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have a couple Falcons. They're good smokers. They are the ONLY pipes out of the several dozen I own, which NEVER gurgle and NEVER need me to run a pipecleaner through mid-smoke. They are also the ONLY pipes which clean up completely with ZERO residue, using ONLY a pipecleaner. Their only downside is they are plain butt ugly and I'm afraid to travel with them lest some ignorant airport employee decides they look like dope pipes.
PS I make my own dry-rings from pipecleaners using a wire cutters and wrap them around a thick pen. There is NO need to make that little twisted pigtail to hold them in place at the draught hole. I just leave about 5mm open gap toward the hole. When the bowl is screwed down it holds the ring from shifting.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My only metal pipe is a Dr. Grabow Viking (a copy of the Falcon) ... It's a surprisingly good smoker! :puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have 2-3 stems and around 6 bowls. I really like them. They are great to travel with IMHO (I'm not a flyer so I can't speak to that) as I can pack the bowls and change them out quickly and easily. They also are super easy to clean and smoke really well for me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Thanks for all the comments, fellas.

There was a guy that was making custom metal pipes that looked pretty interesting.

http://deadguypipes.com/

Pipes & Tobacco Magazine did an article on him in the latest issue - that's what got me thinking about it.
This thread got me an offer by PM of one -an estate - for free. I'm taking him up on it. They aren't that expensive,new - but even $50 can buy a fair amount of 'baccy, these days. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
After starting this thread,Scrooge very kindly sent me a message, offering me an estate Falcon, free. I sent him my shipping info, and not one but two arrived on Friday. Both had some Lane RR run through them on Friday, with no particular excitement. Yesterday, though, I smoked some Old Dublin the the larger bowl and liked it a lot. I'll continue explorations. Thanks, Scrooge!

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I used to talk up Falcons but I've found they smoke different depending on the smoker. You'll either love 'em, be indifferent or dislike 'em. I love em.

IMG_20151108_061637.jpg

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Jud,
I just picked up a Falcon and 2 bowls. I like it well enough, easy maintenance and dry smoke. Until the break in period is done on the bowls, I won't truly know if they are a regular rotation. I picked them up for easy traveling pipes on the motorcycle this summer.
Keep us posted on your progress and thoughts.
Cheers,
RD :puffy:

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I don't like them because for me they seem to lack the mysticism of what I consider pipe smoking in my head. I've never smoked one, mind, just the looks of them seem off to me.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have a couple of Falcons that I smoke on occasion. When I began smoking back in 1970 the Falcon was an inexpensive working man's pipe. Now they seem to be a bit pricey for what they deliver, but they are still a decent pipe. I also have a metal Quiet Comrade pipe that is interesting. It is also a good smoker, but one must clean it after every smoke, otherwise you will need a good alcohol scrub to get the gunk off of it. It seems that I just reach for my Missouri Meerschaums more often than not, so the Falcons and Quiet Comrade don't get used that often.

Mar 1, 2014
Last month I bought a bunch of Falcons and the design look great, the bits are nice and the draft has good engineering all around.

In particular, I'm really curious to see how well the draft hole keeps out tobacco bits, given that the opening is just a thin space between the center plug of aluminum and the hole in the bottom of the Briar. It should effectively be a partially filtered draw even without any "filters" installed.

My biggest problem is all my orthodontic stuff getting in the way of actually smoking a bowl (and now the mosquitos too, I can't wait for the first frost to come and kill every insect walking the Northern Hemisphere. June to August, worst three months of the year).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've just fired off a bowl of Amphora original in the smaller bowl. My current feeling is that they are gonna be like my cobs - fun to smoke, but not something I'll make a big thing about. :puffy:

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I have two falcons, one straight and the other bent.. and they are 2 of the best smoking pipes I have ever used.. they never gurgle or get hot.. having multiple bowls make them good for trips and travel..quite light and durable.. cleaning them is a breeze. I highly recommend getting a falcon or two with some extra bowls..

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Leacha, I love your Falcon bowl rack. That's classy. I've wanted to try a Falcon; all I've tried are Kirstens, and I love those.

Status
Not open for further replies.