PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markg

Lurker
Jan 30, 2016
Hi folks

I've just bought a new Falcon Shillelagh to go with my existing Falcons (and misc other pipes). I really liked the twisted stem design and blue tube! However the draw on the pipe is noticeably tighter then my other two standard Falcons (a straight and a bent). When I examined them I could see that the end of the tube as it enters the Humidome is far smaller (see photos). I'm wondering whether this is a "design feature" because the blued tube and twisted stem means that the tube can't be attached as it is normally. Or is it a manufacturing fault and the tube is crimped or semi-blocked with solder and should have been drilled out before the bit was attached (they're not removable on Falcons).Perhaps someone has a Shillelagh out there and can comment?
--
Many thanks
Mark
Cambridge, England
IMG_20200826_140954442.jpg

Reactions: 02Knight

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Yep, that looks like a manufacturing issue. I haven't noticed any real difference in draw with a shillelagh vs. an extra stem.

Reactions: BROBS

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I concur. Looks like the casting, itself, is not fully bored out at the point where it connects to the tube. A drill, or a Dremel ought to get you up, and running with little fuss. I have noticed no difference in the draw of my shillelagh Falcons vis-a-vis the others I smoke.

With most pipes, it feels like I am adopting them rather than purchasing them, in the sense that all need a little bit of tweaking -- except those that have been made by the individual whose name is stamped on them.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Contact the seller. For the cost I’m betting they will just send you a new one. That’s what should happen anyway.

Reactions: BROBS

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Much as I like Falcon pipes, I wish they'd use a different bit material (if not ebonite, then a better-grade acrylic).

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Much as I like Falcon pipes, I wish they'd use a different bit material (if not ebonite, then a better-grade acrylic).
The newer mouthpieces are a hard nylonthat slips on your teeth. You might try an older estate Falcon. These have a softer broader nylon. One of my oldest ones is from 1972 with an FD overH marking in the bottom of the humidome.

Reactions: Sonorisis
Status
Not open for further replies.