PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve got one bowl that pops off of one straight stem just as posted by the OP.

No explanation. That bowl doesn’t appear visibly different and doesn’t seem to come off other stems as easily - although it is a bit loose.

No problems with other bowls on the straight stem either.

I don’t know. My solution is to not put that bowl on that stem. I’m a low tech kinda guy. Might try the tricks above though.

We need to help our brother of the Falcon find a solution though!!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
where did you buy it? Everyone but eBay are out and I’d like to get a new one.

The Danish Pipe Shop...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In general, Falcons and replacement bowls don't come with the described gasket. Just screw the bowl on there without the gasket and if all goes well, throw the gasket out. I don't know what the gasket is/was about. As you may know, you can make moisture rings out of short lengths of pipe cleaner bent in a circle that cost practically nothing. Enjoy your Falcon.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
In general, Falcons and replacement bowls don't come with the described gasket. Just screw the bowl on there without the gasket and if all goes well, throw the gasket out. I don't know what the gasket is/was about. As you may know, you can make moisture rings out of short lengths of pipe cleaner bent in a circle that cost practically nothing. Enjoy your Falcon.
Sorry, but every one that I've had since 1972 have a gasket if they are made by Falcon. Get out your magnifying glasses. It is flat and thin not round like an o-ring. Warren can attest to this.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If you’re having trouble seating it, take it off, flip it over, put it back on. Use a fingernail to press it flush to the bottom of the threaded bit. Run your fingernail in the thread to press it flush. Viola!

ABBA9F6F-15A5-4591-BED9-BCF07B899CC0.jpeg

The ID of the gasket is a bit smaller than the OD at the bottom of the threads. Here you can see the right side is flush, while left is not fully seated. Just work it with your fingernail to get it down to the bottom. Once you’ve done that, place the bowl back on and carefully engage the threads. Screw it in using even force pushing it down and twist. Don’t overdo it and turn the bowl slowly not more than a 1/4 turn.

Last edited:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
If you’re having trouble seating it, take it off, flip it over, put it back on. Use a fingernail to press it flush to the bottom of the threaded bit. Run your fingernail in the thread to press it flush. Viola!

View attachment 72157
My older bowls had a more discrete gasket that sat flat and was hard to see. It looks like the newer ones were shoved down over the threads in a cruder manner. They still work OK, I just find they seat fine by just using the bowls. I've never had one leak but I smoke DRY tobacco.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Brobs is correct. They are brown flat rings that are intended to seal the bowl without excessive torquing. Occasionally they need to “seat” when they are new. I just use the bowl the way it arrives and after a few ons and offs it settles in.
My older bowls had a more discrete gasket that sat flat and was hard to see. It looks like the newer ones were shoved down over the threads in a cruder manner. They still work OK, I just find they seat fine by just using the bowls. I've never had one leak but I smoke DRY tobacco.
They used to be like a hard plastic now they are softer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I stand corrected, after inspecting my Falcon. It has an inconspicuous gasket thinner than the surface it sits on, but firmly attached to the bowl. The original post made it sound like the gasket came as a separate item, or didn't stay mounted on the bowl, as this one does. But yes, there is indeed a gasket.

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
San Francisco, California
I stand corrected, after inspecting my Falcon. It has an inconspicuous gasket thinner than the surface it sits on, but firmly attached to the bowl. The original post made it sound like the gasket came as a separate item, or didn't stay mounted on the bowl, as this one does. But yes, there is indeed a gasket.
The ring was fitted to the bowl, but is removable.

Reactions: ofafeather

Kaarigar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2021
San Francisco, California
I have seven bowls and three stems and this problem is news to me. These pipes smoke beautifully and are economical. You may have gotten a badly machined bowl but this, in my experience, is quite rare. Don't reject the Falcon because of this as most of us are very dedicated to them and find them reliable and practical. Keep me posted
I returned the stem to the seller. It turned out to be a very expensive deal - paid two shippings to/fro UK - and no stem to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.