PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Hey all, I'm looking at an estate BC and I see marking on the stem, but its not clear if there are marking on the stummel. Im wondering, how rampant are fake pipe sales (this is from kansas), also did BC always mark the stummel?

Aug 1, 2012
Honestly, it's likely the stamping was buffed off over time or just not clearly photographed. That happens quite often. It's also a distant possibility that stems were switched between pipes.

The other side is that it is unlikely that someone would intentionally try to fake a BC. There just isn't enough potential for profit to fake a pipe of such a low cost (notice I didn't say quality, I like my BC pipes).

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Honestly, it's likely the stamping was buffed off over time or just not clearly photographed. That happens quite often. It's also a distant possibility that stems were switched between pipes.

The other side is that it is unlikely that someone would intentionally try to fake a BC. There just isn't enough potential for profit to fake a pipe of such a low cost (notice I didn't say quality, I like my BC pipes).
Thanks for this answer. I feel better about it now. I like my one (for the moment) BC too.

Reactions: captainsousie
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for this answer. I feel better about it now. I like my one (for the moment) BC too.
Happy to help. One other place to look is Etsy as there are a couple sellers who have some classic French pipes like BC for great prices. Many of them are unsmoked for estate prices too.

Reactions: dcicero

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA

I agree with this synopsis.

Reactions: captainsousie
Status
Not open for further replies.