PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Recently I was watching/bidding on a pipe I have been looking for for a while. It was the right shape and colour, and the condition was good. It needed some cleaning like all 49 year old estates, but it was within my comfort range.

I started bidding and the price went beyond my comfort level, so, I stopped bidding.

Sometimes you have to tell yourself that another one will come around. I mean, it will right?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Auctions are a trap that way. Sellers like them because everyone thinks this is a singular opportunity not to be lost. However, when you settle on your own price limit, respect your judgement. You can follow bidding to the moon, but you end up with an item way overpriced that you might not like so well anyway. Trust your judgement and give a sigh of relief. That item won't show up again, but that may be a good thing. Winning an auction isn't always winning. It just means you've made your bed.

Reactions: bnichols23 and dcon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sometimes you have to tell yourself that another one will come around. I mean, it will right?
Well.......I have only ever seen one Savinelli 914 that went for $10 more than my max bid, and that was YEARS ago. You are wise to not getting into the bidding war trap though.?

Reactions: bnichols23

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you set your limit take into account any special considerations you may have and add a few bucks accordingly, if the pipe fills a special gap in your collection or is something you especially want. Assign that a dollar value, but still trust your own decision.

Reactions: bnichols23 and dcon

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I have to say good job!! Bidding can be an issue for me if I'm not careful. So many tempting things to get if the price would stay low.

Recently I was watching/bidding on a pipe I have been looking for for a while. It was the right shape and colour, and the condition was good. It needed some cleaning like all 49 year old estates, but it was within my comfort range.

I started bidding and the price went beyond my comfort level, so, I stopped bidding.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

there is literally no end to the amazing and somewhat affordable pipes out there. Almost forgot but I never bid on much. It's too annoying and I never get what I want so why waste the time. I'll never forget seeing a used ps4 go for more then a new one in a bidding war.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Auctions are designed as games, of course, so the best approach is to be a cold fish and not get your game juices flowing. You are not trying to win. You're trying to buy the item at your carefully calculated price or not at all. Save the gaming satisfaction for something else.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use Auction Sniper. It is the just best way to stay out of a bidding war. Bid once and that's it. You'll be notified if you win.
I wait until the last five seconds of an auction then drop the maximum that I'm willing to pay. I've also caught auctions with no bids, offered the seller a reasonable amount, and many times gotten a great deal on a pipe.

Reactions: dcon and bnichols23

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I really have to know the value of stuff before I can get involved. I suppose everyone wants a good deal. But, if I'm gonna have to pay close to retail for something, I'd much rather buy it from a place that offers top notch customer service.

I have found some outstanding prices on estate pipe from dealers that offer clean, high quality pipes with full service.

It is rare that there is a pipe on eBay that I'm willing to spend the "final" price for.