PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I drilled this pipe last weekend and have been dying to get it finished- the only problem is I have a table I roll outside for all my heavy sanding- and it's been raining in Biblical proportions in Sarasota for the past couple of days due to the storm. Finally had a two hour break between rain bands and managed to get it done...The end cap is actually gaboon ebony- man, that stuff is hard to work!
2u8jm8m.jpg

2q314sp.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I will be- right now, I'm trying to get thirty pipes ready for the West Coast Pipe Show in November. It's a challenge- Until three weeks ago, I hadn't carved a pipe since the late 80's. Right now I'm just really focused on getting consistent quality...and having an absolute blast along the way!

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
That may just be the most beautiful pipe I've ever seen. Maybe we really are entering a new "Golden Age of Pipe Smoking."

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
"That may just be the most beautiful pipe I've ever seen. Maybe we really are entering a new "Golden Age of Pipe Smoking." "
Thanks for the kind words...I'm convinced you may be right- and I'd say the Internet might be the reason. Twenty five years ago when I stopped making pipes, I had never seen another pipemaker working. Now when I need to learn a new technique, I can find dozens of examples on YouTube. On trying to improve my work, I can find pipes from the top thirty artisans in the US and compare what I'm struggling to accomplish with what they have clearly mastered.
The same goes for the community- the neighborhood pipe shop is increasingly a rarity- now the community is online and sharing everything- I think there are probably hundreds of videos online with guys proudly unpacking their latest acquisitions. What's the good of having fun if you can't share it online with thousands of your friends?...:)

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Let us know when you start selling. I'm going to start squirreling away some money for one now so that when you do I'll be ready to pull the trigger!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
For taking off some 30 years you haven't lost a step. That is a fantastic pipe and I would also be interested when you start selling or accepting commissions.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Zack, that is awesome looking. I also live in Sarasota. I am in The Isles in Palmer Ranch, where are you? We need to hook up for a smoke sometime.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Fantastic!

Would rather be in that boat than smoking a Pipe! Or would rather be running that boat.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
"Zack, that is awesome looking. I also live in Sarasota. I am in The Isles in Palmer Ranch, where are you? We need to hook up for a smoke sometime."
Harris, It would be a pleasure...
"Fantastic!

Would rather be in that boat than smoking a Pipe! Or would rather be running that boat. "
Very sad- that was the Dolce Vita, a 1969 Whitby 45 that I spent two years restoring. Just sold her 4 months ago- which is probably why I have time to make pipes now! A great old race boat- won the Chicago-Mac race in it's class back in the early 70's. With a 6'8" draft, I knew where every sandbar was in Sarasota Bay...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.