PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As the dawn breaks this morning I feel blessed and privileged to own these two extremely high finished pipes. The top one is a B Grade James Upshall and the bottom an Eric Nording 501 Spigot.

4C278867-5295-499D-B59C-C4FD31B9CD81.jpegDCEAC7A4-DC83-48EA-9D9C-407A8A30BF20.jpegFEE85D6A-CD14-4F9C-A5FB-80F239BBCB28.jpeg
Second hand luxuries don’t have to be expensive. The Upshall cost $175 and the Nording $85.

Both are small pipes, but maybe because they are so beautiful I think they smoke as well as any I own.

Pipes like this require the best briar and most skilled hands to fashion.

Neither had been smoked much at all. Why did somebody spend what luxury like this costs and leave them nearly unsmoked?

I can and will fix that.:)

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Good morning and gratulations, they're both beautiful and look pretty fit. I like the bowl shape of the Upshall
but that Nording is a real beaut' all over and at that price even I would've bought it.
I have to demand more pictures. 😁
Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Thank you, @Briar Lee
I'm really in love with that Nording. The reddish wood with those dark black stripes and the faceted shank with that metal "mouthpiece mount" (mortise?) all come together to give it the brute but elegant
strength of a proud tiger.
I've seen photos of lots of beautiful bruyere pipes but this one really does something for me.
Wow!

Reactions: UB 40 and Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Thank you, @Briar Lee
I'm really in love with that Nording. The reddish wood with those dark black stripes and the faceted shank with that metal "mouthpiece mount" (mortise?) all come together to give it the brute but elegant
strength of a proud tiger.
I've seen photos of lots of beautiful bruyere pipes but this one really does something for me.
Wow!
In person, in the hand, the Upshall is more elegant and understated, the Nording flashier and more showy.

I think the workmanship and briar quality is actually better on the Upshall, but the beauty of the Nording is incomparable.

I get to smoke em both!

Reactions: Chaukisch

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
In person, in the hand, the Upshall is more elegant and understated, the Nording flashier and more showy.

I think the workmanship and briar quality is actually better on the Upshall, but the beauty of the Nording is incomparable.

I get to smoke em both!
Of course I can only go from the photos here but I find that the bowl of the Upshall seems to have a different shape on every camera angle that you've shown.
That's some good, delicate work and the more I look at it the more I see and understand.
Like a jewel, a new well ground facet every time you have a closer look. Although the Nording really is a show stealer! Anyway, I hope they smoke as well as they look.
Again... Enjoy!