PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It’s a real crapshoot. I’ve been lucky enough to try a few 40’s -50’s blends in the last year. What amused me to no end was the lack of consensus between the smokers on any of the blends - I loved the Condor Brown Twist, and hated the Escudo from ‘49. I loved the Escudo from ‘52 and all others disliked it, and so on through about twelve different blends.
I wouldn’t spend much money or hope on the old ones.

Reactions: BROBS

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Well, no way to know until you open it. I had a tin of this from 1979 that I bought from Pipestud. The lid came right off, and the contents were shit dust like, but I went ahead and rehydrated it. The flavor was a contrast of super sweet and stale. But I kinda still liked it in a weird sort of way.
That's the risk I accepted buying old tins. Now, I no longer do that.
Thanks for the heads up, I guess it would be a lesson learned from experience.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
God that would suck if you had been sitting on it. I can just see myself in 2075, opening up that tin of 2014 Christmas Cheer on my death bed, and.......

walking_dead_season5_sludge-zombie.png

It would make me want to run towards the nearest living thing and kill it.
I guess I'll drag it to TAPS and share the zombie love! Now to set up the reservations!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I've supplied many cutter top tins of stuff from the 1920s onwards to friends on here for tastings. My good friend John and myself opened a tin from the 1900's last summer and I think it was an amazing joy to smoke. Usually the flavors are muted and really not worth the crazy money paid for these tins.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
IME anything 30 and over can be hit or miss. I've smoked up to 70 year old tobacco, and I thought that one was excellent but you could tell it had lost something due to extreme age, even though it wasn't dried out and had been properly stored. Smoked 70s era Sobranie and you could tell it had lost a little something, and it was still the best Lat blend I ever smoked. Smoked 60s era ERR and thought it was the best ERR I ever smoked. Couple years ago opened a 1983 tin of Kentucky Club with a bulging ring pull, and forget what anyone says about Burley not aging, that tobacco is like smoking chocolate cake. And I have a tin I just opened 10 years newer, and it's good but not 1983 good.

IMO 20 is probably optimal, which will be what some of my stash is in 5 years when I retire, and what the bulk of my stash will be 5 or so years into my retirement.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I bought a tin of Murray's Erinmore Flake off ebay that was made in the late 1970's, I haven't opened it yet though.
I read an interesting article about Erinmore and apparently they changed it at some point and it used to have a stronger/fuller flavour that was different to what it is today.
Hopefully I didn't waste my cash on a dud.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I recently had aged Escudo( an artifact of my old cellar when I thought I quit), 15 years old. I had a fresh tin as well purchased to compare, and I actually prefered the 1 year old Escudo to 15. I think 15 just mellows it too much. 5-10 years should be a sweet spot in my opinion.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I bought a tin of Murray's Erinmore Flake off ebay that was made in the late 1970's, I haven't opened it yet though.
I read an interesting article about Erinmore and apparently they changed it at some point and it used to have a stronger/fuller flavour that was different to what it is today.
Hopefully I didn't waste my cash on a dud.

View attachment 15685

Smudger: I too purchased a 70's Erinmore tin just like that, roughly 12-13 years ago on ebay. The tobacco... wasn't too great, I must say. It bit like a rabid dog, first of all. Second, the flavor seemed to leave behind only the harsh notes of the tobacco. Third, the topping did not age well. I'm extra curious what your experience is like, if you can ping me somewhere when you finally open it. Don't let me cloud your expectations: Expect nothing. Your experience could be the exact opposite of mine.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Smudger: I too purchased a 70's Erinmore tin just like that, roughly 12-13 years ago on ebay. The tobacco... wasn't too great, I must say. It bit like a rabid dog, first of all. Second, the flavor seemed to leave behind only the harsh notes of the tobacco. Third, the topping did not age well. I'm extra curious what your experience is like, if you can ping me somewhere when you finally open it. Don't let me cloud your expectations: Expect nothing. Your experience could be the exact opposite of mine.
That's a shame. Hopefully I have a bit better luck otherwise I wasted my money. I'll send you a PM when I open it with my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.