PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

motorjon68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2023
Cincinnati
So basically your “daily” tobacco is on mason jars and the tobacco in those mason jars is from your cellar tins?
Yes, they age in their tins just fine, given they are still factory sealed.
Thanks gervais. I bought some 2022 Cringle Flake and was thinking I’d put it away for a couple years. I was concerned about long term storage in the tin.

On tins... I go through a couple of times a year and just check all of the seals on tins by trying to pull them open. A good sealed tin cannot be opened by hand without a coin. So far, none of mine have lost their seals.
On jars, I used to remove the rings on sealed jars, like I do with canned vegies... but then I just got lazy about removing them. It's a good way to keep an eye on whether a jar loses its seal. The ones I leave on now are packed into boxes, so I can't just look through them now anyways.
If anyone is squeamish about removing the rings from jars... keep in mind that a jar with the ring on it, can just as easily lose its seal, and the ring will just hide that. The rings do not keep a clamped pressure on the lid. jars are designed that way, so that under pressure a lid can still move to let air flow. just cranking down a lid does not increase pressure on the lid like you think it does. Check out food prep and canning forums for more info on that, if you want.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
A
On tins... I go through a couple of times a year and just check all of the seals on tins by trying to pull them open. A good sealed tin cannot be opened by hand without a coin. So far, none of mine have lost their seals.
On jars, I used to remove the rings on sealed jars, like I do with canned vegies... but then I just got lazy about removing them. It's a good way to keep an eye on whether a jar loses its seal. The ones I leave on now are packed into boxes, so I can't just look through them now anyways.
If anyone is squeamish about removing the rings from jars... keep in mind that a jar with the ring on it, can just as easily lose its seal, and the ring will just hide that. The rings do not keep a clamped pressure on the lid. jars are designed that way, so that under pressure a lid can still move to let air flow. just cranking down a lid does not increase pressure on the lid like you think it does. Check out food prep and canning forums for more info on that, if you want.
And, if as people say, as a tobacco ages, CO2 builds up in the jar and that would force off a lid. A point to be made, CO2 is heavier than air, so even if the lid is forced open from internal pressure build-up, as long as the release is not violent, there will continue to be a cap of CO2 over the baccy.

Reactions: Samuel Perez
A

And, if as people say, as a tobacco ages, CO2 builds up in the jar and that would force off a lid. A point to be made, CO2 is heavier than air, so even if the lid is forced open from internal pressure build-up, as long as the release is not violent, there will continue to be a cap of CO2 over the baccy.
Ahhhhhh, no... this doesn't happen. The O2 gets converted to CO2, which takes up less space, and the lids get sucked down. I have been doing this for a Looong time now, and never has a lid popped off.

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Ahhhhhh, no... this doesn't happen. The O2 gets converted to CO2, which takes up less space, and the lids get sucked down. I have been doing this for a Looong time now, and never has a lid popped off.
1. I have read, in this magazine, of aged tins puffing outward ... a sign of gas build-up within the tin ... or perhaps you have another explanation?

2. With all of the hydrocarbons (specifically sugars) within the tin, I have suspicions that initially there was aerobic conversion of free oxygen (and hydrocarbons) to CO2 and eventually anaerobic conversion.

3. The O2 molecule is in fact smaller, albeit only slightly, than the CO2 molecule thus O2 occupies less space than CO2.

4. CO2 can be used as a protective layer to prevent the oxidation of substances. I have used it to prevent the oxidation of beer when transferring it from fermenter to canister, so do others.

I cannot explain why or how you are creating a vacuum in your cellared jars except that perhaps you had a large temperature differential between where you canned your tobacco and your place of cellaring. I also read that some people heat their product before sealing it, which would create a vacuum.

Reactions: chopper
1. I have read, in this magazine, of aged tins puffing outward ... a sign of gas build-up within the tin ... or perhaps you have another explanation?

2. With all of the hydrocarbons (specifically sugars) within the tin, I have suspicions that initially there was aerobic conversion of free oxygen (and hydrocarbons) to CO2 and eventually anaerobic conversion.

3. The O2 molecule is in fact smaller, albeit only slightly, than the CO2 molecule thus O2 occupies less space than CO2.

4. CO2 can be used as a protective layer to prevent the oxidation of substances. I have used it to prevent the oxidation of beer when transferring it from fermenter to canister, so do others.

I cannot explain why or how you are creating a vacuum in your cellared jars except that perhaps you had a large temperature differential between where you canned your tobacco and your place of cellaring. I also read that some people heat their product before sealing it, which would create a vacuum.
I own a small winery, and in beverages, the yeast is pulling o2 from water and converting sugars into CO2. The release if from conversion of liquids to gas.

GLP tins are an anomaly, as no other tins do this, except a few other CD things.

All I will say is that I have jar without lid rings that have set for ten+ years without popping a top.

Reactions: Samuel Perez

lukifer

Lurker
Dec 10, 2022
I currently have ~2 dozen open tins at the moment and keep tins that are open and not the handful that are currently in my rotation in plastic containers(rubber gasket/airtight) that have a large boveda packet in them 62-65%. I have found this keeps them from drying out and in some cases, I have taken a rather dry tin, popped it in the container with the others for a few weeks and when I return to it, it's right as rain.

How long I can keep this up, I can't tell you for sure, probably as long as the boveda packet lasts. Also, I keep tins separated by type ie. I wont store Three Nuns or Briar Fox in the same container as NightCap or Pirate Kake for fear that a dry-er tin will absorb the moisture that came from a moist tin of another variety eg. Brair Fox with a Latakia twist. With that said, even if it is possible, I doubt I have the palate to discern this, but YMMV.