PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Well Ladies and Gents, on Tuesday the 25th I am having my hip replaced. This will be to resolve a flaw that has been present in my hips since I was born. And while I am unreasonably frightened about the whole thing, I am going to get six weeks off of work. Plenty of time to sit at home and catch up on reading, video games, and my pipe smoking. I think I may actually be looking forward to it.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
jonahtke, If you have any questions or concerns, pm me. I just had a total hip replacement a month ago. Weez...

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Good luck with the surgery, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Enjoy the pipes & video games!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope everything goes to perfection, and that your recovery is good for reading and plenty of

good pipe smoking. Be diligent about avoiding infection. Get them to give you an antiseptic scrub

for your shower before you go in. My wife had a problem with this, and had to have a revision. But

she was the rare case. Still, better to be fussy than have a problem. I know you'll do great!

Happy smoking and keep us posted. Maybe you can do a tobacco review or two as you mend.

Aug 14, 2012
Jonah: Wishing you success and an easy recovery. I am sure you know to make sure it is not metal on metal, but thought I would mention it anyway.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Jonahtke: All the best and here's hoping you have a successful surgery, speedy recovery, as well as time to read and to smoke your pipes. We will be thinking of you.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I hope all goes well with your operation. I know you will enjoy your time off from work. I hope you have some home health care to assist you during recovery if needed. Having that assistance is better than going to a nursing home.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I bet you'll be happy you had it done when the healing is complete. Get back on your feet soon, good luck.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Take care and God speed, Jonah. Listen to the docs and therapists, okay? More people get into trouble pushing the recovery process and don't give their bodies a chance to heal properly.
mso489 gave you sound advice, too. Make that last shower count by bathing with something that will kill the double bull headed, South American clap on contact. You've got to be proactive about your health, brother.
You will be in my thoughts.
Fnord

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hope it all goes as well as possible for you...best wishes for a speedy recovery.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Thank you all for the well wishes. A small update here, I went to my surgeons office to fill out paperwork this morning and it turns out that a secretary/nurse/clerk/etc...scheduled my surgery for the one hospital in town that my insurance doesn't cover. How she managed to do this despite the limitations set by the insurance company I don't know. As of now I'm waiting on a call back from their office regarding rescheduling. Nice to know that a clerical error can completely undo months of planning. I am to say the least, irritated.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
No worries it will work out. I hope all goes well.
I do have a suggestion. I would put a hold on the pipe smoking for at least the first week, until you know you are healing well. I consulted with a back surgeon who smoked pipes, he told me to stop my pipe smoking a week or so before surgery and for at least a week after. He said that their were studies that showed nicotine can slow down healing of wounds. He wasn't sure if it was true but also had the mind set not to risk it. I didn't have the surgery but he did give me some good advise for my back.
I did have surgery a few weeks ago for something different. The morning before my surgery, while still at home, I was told to shower with Hibiclens before I came in. It is a disinfectant found in the first aid aisle. It doesn't get all foamy but it works. I got mine at CVS but was told you can also get it at Walgreens.

Status
Not open for further replies.