PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
As a new piper I’m interested to know the opinions of the old timers as to which you might consider the Definitive Blends of the basic families including their subgroups.
The most English English and why and so on and so forth. This would be a fun poll I’m willing to tally and post results if anyone is interested.

Aromatic
Balkan
Burley
English
Lakeland
Oriental
Scottish
Virginia
VA/BUR
VA/PER

If the blends are no longer available then perhaps an available match and a bit of history if you feel like expounding a bit.

Feel like this would be a good article if even just based on the opinions of this forum and great for us newbs to see what it’s all about…
Thanks in advance?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
In a private cigar grouper there are roughly 70 ppl that get together 3-5 times a year for weekend herfs, after 15 yrs with these friends there are 2 that i share the same palate with, we pick up the same notes and enjoy the same sticks and even then there are differences.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Perhaps "iconic" may be a better ask rather than "definitive?"

Other than that input, I only have 3 years experience, so I'm disqualified from this thread!
I hear that and I’m getting a lot of reply’s about palate but like the reply above the seemingly obvious Balkan Sobranie seems the DEFINITIVE Balkan as it seems to have defined the genre. I’m wondering if there are old Definitive/Iconic blends that sort of set that standard in the same way when they were introduced to the pipe smoking world of yesteryear.

Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Scottish, Balkan, and English are just marketing terms for the same general blend. Their components vary depending on who you ask.
In all sincerity was there a Balkan before Balkan Sobranie?
Does it not set the bar? Wondering if there was say a first Scottish? Or Navy as well?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does it not set the bar? Wondering if there was say a first Scottish? Or Navy as well?
Navy just refers to the cut. Doesn't even have to have rum in it.

Balkan just referred more to the Orientals place of origin.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
you know what might be a better question to get some answers is to ask what we expect to find in a tin with all those labels. Or even more accurately what do we expect it to be for the majority of blends called that.
You'll get more bites with that question I think. Since it has less of search for something definitive when the fact is not one of those terms is definitive at all.

Reactions: vosBghos

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I feel like people don't understand what the word "definitive" means in this context. Or maybe they just have a bad case of the Mondays and are too grumpy to admit they do know but just don't want anyone to have fun.

It doesn't have to be about what you think tastes good, what's popular on one forum, or something that was voted into the Tobacco Hall of Fame. The OP is just curious about the blend from each category that's got the reputation of being iconic within that category (even if you might have a different definition of what that category might be). It's not like you're under oath when you answer these questions.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been smoking for 31 years so I'll go just from my own palate.

Aromatic Rich Dark Honeydew
Balkan Peretti Royal
Burley HH Burley Flake
English Lizzie's Blood Red English
Lakeland pre 2021 Ennerdale
Oriental Yenidje Highlander
Scottish Black Frigate
Virginia McClelland 40th Anniversary
VA/BUR Old Dark Fired
VA/PER Elizabethan Match
Deertongue Crooner

Status