PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Hi all,

I am looking to see if anyone has experience with Radice reverse-calabash pipes?
Do the stems loosen over time from the constant removing of the stem to clean the calabash reservoir?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hi all,

I am looking to see if anyone has experience with Radice reverse-calabash pipes?
Do the stems loosen over time from the constant removing of the stem to clean the calabash reservoir?
The one I had had a plastic ring inside of the mortise for stem placement so it pressed into place instead of twisting. I remove all of my stems immediately after smoking with no loosening issues. If constantly smoked hot, the 360° compression on the stem from mortise swelling causes loose stems when the mortise contracts after cooling. That's why vulcanite tenons can be restored to their size with heat.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I am a big Radice fan in general and have had, over the years, a number of their reverse calabash pipes. I never found any loosening and they smoke well. Cleaning requires more steps than with a traditional pipes. If anything I found that the stem sometimes becomes too tight over time. For me, it came down to weight and the calabashes I had were all over 2 oz. I know that for most that is not a lot but as I prefer to clench it became uncomfortable. Nice pipes though.