Experience Selling Pipes to Smokingpipes.com?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Title edited. No all caps! -jpm

I have a number of good quality briars languishing in my basement for years (from my old PAD days) as I primarily smoke cobs these days except for a few select briars.

I always receive a little flyer in the box when I get tobacco orders delivered from smokingpipes.com, offering to sell unwanted pipes.
I emailed them and was told there was no need to even clean them up in any way, and that I'd be informed what they would pay for each one (that they're willing to buy) before having to commit.

Seems like a quick and easy way to unload them. I was wondering if any of you folks have experience with taking them up on this offer? I definitely don't want to spend the time getting them refurbished and trying to sell individually, so I'm tempted to convert this ignored box in my basement to cash or credit on their site.

Last edited by a moderator:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thank you, I had not actually looked at this link. Yes I agree that that's probably pretty much a standard deal. Just wanted to see if anyone had bad or good experiences dealing with them on this.
I don't personally, but have heard nothing but good experiences (from those that had actually read the policy anyway and knew what to expect). Smokingpipes is known for excellent customer service and I would expect this to be no different.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
General consenses is it's like they say. The options are sell it yourself and even if that works it takes some effort and time. Which is more valuable to you money or time and effort? If time and effort are more important and just making sure it gets to a good home. Send it to them you'll get a fair price but probably less then if you post it here for example. If you watch the sell trades they can go quick or can sit there for a while. IF you give it to smoking pipes that's their problem.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
General consenses is it's like they say. The options are sell it yourself and even if that works it takes some effort and time. Which is more valuable to you money or time and effort? If time and effort are more important and just making sure it gets to a good home. Send it to them you'll get a fair price but probably less then if you post it here for example. If you watch the sell trades they can go quick or can sit there for a while. IF you give it to smoking pipes that's their problem.
Yeah this is definitely something I don't want to spend a lot of time on myself. I have good experiences with that vendor, so that's probably the way I'm going to go. I'll probably just go with store credit, so I'll get a small war chest of future tobacco purchase credits (though I do occasionally buy a pipe from them).

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I sent three off a short time ago. In about three weeks I had an offer which was fair and just about what I expected. It's about the easiest, carefree method to unload pipes you aren't using anyway, and end up with a little store credit to offset purchases you know you're going to make regardless.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I sent them a box of pipes a few years ago and was very happy with the process.

Do I think the price is fair? What’s fair? They have to dial them in and resell them.

I only disagreed with two of pipes and they sent them back.

So it’s good enough.
Yeah I very much liked how they'll price on a pipe-by-pipe basis, and you can just say "nope" to any you don't agree to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have gone the store credit route with SP twice, toward a pipe I wanted. I know I could wring more money out of some pipes, but it would take a lot more labor and involve more hassle, so this has worked for me. I can cull some pipes I don't smoke and end up with one I will, and that works for me.

The last time, they changed their deal a little, paid a little more, so I jumped on that. I shopped rigorously to find the right pipe and I am entirely satisfied with the deal.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I have gone the store credit route with SP twice, toward a pipe I wanted. I know I could wring more money out of some pipes, but it would take a lot more labor and involve more hassle, so this has worked for me. I can cull some pipes I don't smoke and end up with one I will, and that works for me.

The last time, they changed their deal a little, paid a little more, so I jumped on that. I shopped rigorously to find the right pipe and I am entirely satisfied with the deal.
ditto

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just a plug for Pipestud if you’ve got some nice pipes that are getting cut from the herd! Riskier than SP but potential for good reward.

Sounds like the condition may be an issue though, so SP may be the easiest way.

North of the Border Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
I have not sold pipes to them, but traded them in. You generally get a higher price that way. With that store credit you can get whatever your heart desires, pipes, tobacco or accesories.
I found them straight forward and fair!

Reactions: vosBghos

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Yaaaaaay spammer time!

Reported. But just as well I’m thinking about offloading a couple dozen pipes, I’ve realized I’m a smoker that likes specific pipes and doesn’t like either, if i was a collector it would matter but since in not I’ll give SP a try in a couple months when i move. Will they give me credit with @hoosierpipeguy ? ?

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Yaaaaaay spammer time!

Reported. But just as well I’m thinking about offloading a couple dozen pipes, I’ve realized I’m a smoker that likes specific pipes and doesn’t like either, if i was a collector it would matter but since in not I’ll give SP a try in a couple months when i move. Will they give me credit with @hoosierpipeguy ? ?
No, but SP is a very honest and fair dealing vendor. We are fortunate to have them in our community.