PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you married the sexist woman in the world, would you set her in a chair behind a glass wall and look at her while playing with yourself? Or would you find it more enjoyable taking your chances with wearing her out? If you choose the former, don't smoke the pipes but also seek professional counseling.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you married the sexist woman in the world, would you set her in a chair behind a glass wall and look at her while playing with yourself? Or would you find it more enjoyable taking your chances with wearing her out? If you choose the former, don't smoke the pipes but also seek professional counseling.
I did marry two of the sexiest women in the world. Why is it that so much crazy seems to go along with that? I'd be a million dollars ahead if I had put them behind glass.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I did marry two of the sexiest women in the world. Why is it that so much crazy seems to go along with that? I'd be a million dollars ahead if I had put them behind glass.

No. You'd have been $980,000 ahead had you bought two $10,000 pipes instead and smoked the shit out of them. Some lessons though have to be learned the hard way.

Reactions: sablebrush52

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Going back to the original question posted I would say that if the hypothetical loss of the pipe due to improper use is something considered financially not sustainable it should not be bought to start with as I think the pipe is a tool and should be used. And only the owner of the object can make the determination if he is willing to take the financial risk or not as a 500$ pipe could be a lot of money or not in view of different peoples.

Said that there are also people who buy pipes as well as other collectibles not with the intention of using them but just to collect keeping them in their pristine condition and there is nothing wrong with this too.

So at the end my best suggestion is to look inside you for the answer rather than asking because only you can make the right decision and what others could suggest while fine for them might be the correct answer for yourself.

64alex

May 10, 2016
So at the end my best suggestion is to look inside you for the answer rather than asking because only you can make the right decision and what others could suggest while fine for them might be the correct answer for yourself.

I meant might not be the correct answer for yourself.

Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
Should you smoke them? In my opinion, perhaps when the time is right. The high end pipes for any of us might be defined as expensive or otherwise special. Some feel ok that these might be special occasion pipes. Others seize the day....admirable. Perhaps you have an extrodinary commission, and you are waiting until your ship comes in...or another special occasion... to enjoy it as a reward. Don't sweat it. Smoke the pipe when the occasion calls for it. Perhaps the ship will be a small one, smaller than you expected or wished for. Carpe diem. Reward yourself when you feel you should. Or if you have a terribly long string of rainy days, sell it to help make ends meet. Or, gift it to a special person. Precious things deserve special treatment. It's also ok to collect and not smoke the pipe (or pipes), although I personally feel that one day the instrument(s) should be properly played. But I must say that some pipes are works of art to me and it does take some strong compulsion, at least to this periodically thrifty Yankee, to light them on fire.

I have over a dozen pipes like this, unsmoked. One will be gifted to my son when he graduates college next week.... virtually due to the pandemic. He will choose when to enjoy it someday. I'll also give him a pipe that he can put to immediate use....a very good one, and a special one, but not perhaps the same "special" one. Your call pal, no wrong answers.
Excellent answer, thank you sir. Hope you and your son were still able to have a memorable graduation celebration (considering the times we live in)

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I recently got very lucky when buying a smoked Sasieni estate pipe for less than the equivalent of $10 in Argentine pesos. Turned out to be one of their earliest one dot Prince shape pipes. The reason I bought it was because I liked the look of it not because it was a Sasieni as I didn't know it was one until after I had purchased it.

Since receiving it I have smoked it regularly as I do with all the estate pipes I've purchased. Then again I'm not a collector and don't care about their resale value as I always pay very little for my pipes in the first place.
As for those who buy pipes and only bring them out to look at...if that makes them happy then good on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.