PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I'll second Orlik Golden Sliced. I found it to be a very forgiving blend while trying to get your cadence down for Straight VAs (it has a whisper of Perique in it, but it's hardly noticeable, if at all).

My other personal Favorites are:

Newminster 400 Navy Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (has some Perique, but still a good quality VA base)

Both of these are good "starter" VAs/VA-based blends (even though they are still very popular among seasoned pipe smokers). And they age very well.

They are sold in bulk, so you can just pick up an ounce or two to see how you like them.

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is one of my all-time favorites, but I wouldn't start with it. It comes very damp, and can be a bit "rich" for someone not used to the flavors. It can also be a little harder to get, but I highly recommend trying it if you find that you are starting to warm up to VAs.

I also like some of the C&D Red Virginias, but they tend to be a little better with at least a few months of age on them. The Small Batch editions that are released every year are very good.

One of my all-time favorites is the Sutliff Cringle Flake that is released every year around the Holidays. True, it has been a VA/Per the past couple of editions, but it is a fantastic VA-based blend that is very complex and rich. I usually stock up on it when it's released.

Have fun and try a lot. There's a lot to try!

Happy Puffing!