PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Fred Hanna's great book called "The Perfect Smoke" is what improved my enjoyment of pipe smoking more than any other single source. He does a great job of explaining the potential for pleasure that pipe smoking offers. In particular, his writing about the seven essential skills of pipe smoking, and his much later chapter on the relaxing and contemplative qualities of pipe smoking is writing that I can recommend to any pipe smoker. It made all the difference for me.

Much of the book is what I would call advanced topics that are better suited to the experienced enthusiast.

The great concept of the book is, as it's title says: "the perfect smoke", which is attainable consistently by studying and refining your understanding of the fundamentals.

Be warned that after reading the book and refining my technique, I did have a fit of Pipe Acquisition Disorder (PAD) to increase the size of my harem, and am now experiencing some mild TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder).

Last edited by a moderator:

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I'm several chapters into the book and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's eminently readable and full of interesting and useful insights—and not just for the beginner. Although I've been pipe smoking for fifty years, I always learn something new (or am reminded of something I forgot!) when I listen to those who've given the hobby more thought than I have. That's also the reason I enjoy reading this forum.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Anyone have opinion on this title

“The Pipe Smoker's Guide To Pipes & Pipe Tobacco Blending: A Comprehensive Guide To Pipe Smoking Enjoyment” ?​

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
That's going too far if you need a book to tell you how to enjoy smoking.
Over the last two centuries, there have been any number of books published that do just that. My personal favorite is Carl Weber’s “The Pleasures of Pipe Smoking.” But Alfred Dunhill‘s own “The Gentle Art of Smoking” is definitely worth reading…if you’ve a desire to read books about pipe smoking.

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Over the last two centuries, there have been any number of books published that do just that. My personal favorite is Carl Weber’s “The Pleasures of Pipe Smoking.” But Alfred Dunhill‘s own “The Gentle Art of Smoking” is definitely worth reading…if you’ve a desire to read books about pipe smoking.
i guess some people enjoy reading book about having sex and get great deal out of it. I firmly believe certain things should be experienced, not reading about how others do it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ben, I think the title is too long. I know it is meant to be specific, but it wouldn't be eye-catching on the rack or title list. Pipe Smoking Enjoyment, with the rest rephrased as a subtitle or cover blurb might do it.

The trick is to get the person to pick up the book in hand. Their eyes might have wandered before they read all of a longer title.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I firmly believe certain things should be experienced, not reading about how others do it.
Ah, but then you miss the delight in discovering that Weber refers to those who fill a pipe by jamming it down into a pouchful of tobacco “dunderheads.”

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Ah, but then you miss the delight in discovering that Weber refers to those who fill a pipe by jamming it down into a pouchful of tobacco “dunderheads.”

Then Weber is a dumb ass. That's called codger scoop. It's a form of packing a bowl. Little trick to it, but when done with cob, or any pipe, in pouch blends, it gives amazing result. Trick is to shove in the tobacco with one or two fingers so friction will prevent the tobacco from hitting the bottom. When shoved correctly, it creates air pocket at the bottom giving good air flow. Didn't need a book for it.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
i guess some people enjoy reading book about having sex and get great deal out of it. I firmly believe certain things should be experienced, not reading about how others do it.
Bullet,
I’m in agreement with you to an extent..especially in not basing the level of success or enjoyment or whatever you get using someone else and their experience as a standard. But, being very very much a greenhorn regarding this whole pipe and tobacco thing I can tell you reading of other peoples knowledge and experiences has helped me out tremendously in getting started. Isn’t that a large part of what we’re doing on this forum?

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Bullet,
I’m in agreement with you to an extent..especially in not basing the level of success or enjoyment or whatever you get using someone else and their experience as a standard. But, being very very much a greenhorn regarding this whole pipe and tobacco thing I can tell you reading of other peoples knowledge and experiences have helped me out tremendously. Isn’t that a large part of what we’re doing on this forum?
Yes and no. In this forum, we give quick suggestions to get you started. Rest is up to you to experiment and find out what works for you. No one smokes the same. Everyone's different. To find your optimum smoking experience, you will have to find your answers. Reading about someone else's experience might be entertaining, but that's not you smoking. By all means, enjoy a good reading. But if you want to get to a place where you want to enjoy a good bowl of smoke, you are the only person who could do that.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Yes and no. In this forum, we give quick suggestions to get you started. Rest is up to you to experiment and find out what works for you. No one smokes the same. Everyone's different. To find your optimum smoking experience, you will have to find your answers. Reading about someone else's experience might be entertaining, but that's not you smoking. By all means, enjoy a good reading. But if you want to get to a place where you want to enjoy a good bowl of smoke, you are the only person who could do that.
I hear ya, I see what you mean there

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, by Dr. Fred Hanna is a really good read, and it’s all I’ve ever read from him.

I would certainly never tell anyone not to read this, as that’s their choice.

But...

I think there is a very important point to understanding, that Pipe Smoking should be a Journey, something you obtain by simply experiencing and experimenting, a lot of trial and error, all a part of the joys.

Reading a book, to try and understand how to obtain something better, if you really consider it, possibly takes away from the personal journey.

Bottom line, what I’m saying here is, this isn’t complicated, fill a pipe and smoke it, and how you obtain that perfection, should be your own personal journey you find, because then, in the end, when you do, it should be a greater accomplishment, greater satisfaction you find, in achieving it on your own. :)