PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
So throughout my pipe smoking journey, I have obviously found tobacco blends that I like more and some that I like less. BUT, what I just attempted to smoke was just not good. I cracked open a can of Cockstrong by D&R. Unfortunately, I just can't explain what is so bad about it. The description sounded right up my alley and the reviews used words like nutty and strong that I am a fan of. There was just a taste that I couldn't get past. I, of course, will give it another try at a later date, but... We'll see.

Anyone else recently pack a bowl that they just couldn't finish?

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I purchased a tin of Mac Baren Vanilla Flake thinking it would be nice as I recently plowed through a tin of Autumn Evening. Reviews seemed positive and I like vanilla.

Something didn’t agree with me and I got an overpowering floral taste and aroma that made me nauseous. I tried two flakes and had to give up on both of them. Ended up giving the tin away.

Reactions: seanv

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
So throughout my pipe smoking journey, I have obviously found tobacco blends that I like more and some that I like less. BUT, what I just attempted to smoke was just not good. I cracked open a can of Cockstrong by D&R. Unfortunately, I just can't explain what is so bad about it. The description sounded right up my alley and the reviews used words like nutty and strong that I am a fan of. There was just a taste that I couldn't get past. I, of course, will give it another try at a later date, but... We'll see.

Anyone else recently pack a bowl that they just couldn't finish?
Bought a whole pound of the stuff thinking I"d like it and struggled to finish it. Never to buy again.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
To me, Cockstrong tastes like cigarette tobacco.
Really good cigarette tobacco, don't get me wrong, but still cigarette tobacco.
I usually like to keep a tin on hand, I think it's the easiest blend I have to smoke. Good for when I'm stressed out and just want something strong and not super complex, that I don't have to fuss with at all

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't tried Cockstrong. I ordered a pound of D&R Two Timer, two different burleys toasted, and I find it a pleasant, balanced, mild but tasty burley blend. Sample in small quantities to not get stuck with leaf you don't like.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Many of D&Rs tobaccos started out as RYO tobaccos and are dual-purpose. I never had Cockstrong, but that is certainly true of Windsail, Ryback and Three Sails. YMMV in terms of how they compare to many other pipe tobaccos. I was a handroller of Ryback for quite some time, and it was excellent. I tried it in a pipe, and while not offensive, there are certainly superior options for VA/KY blends, IMO.

Many of D&Rs tobaccos started out as RYO tobaccos and are dual-purpose.
There really was never much of a difference between pipe and cigarette tobaccos. Cigarettes came from pipe smokers that were too busy to smoke a pipe. But, the tobaccos used in ready rolled brands like Camel and Marlboro are horrible. But actual pipecut RYO tobaccos in a pipe are actually pretty good.

It might be of interest to search though the old radioshows here on PipesMagazine for an interview with Mark Ryan. He is the owner of D&R and La Poche perique factory in St James. He talks about his boutique blends and mentions Cockstrong.
He used to be a member of the forums here and answered questions. But, he vanished along with Greg Pease and some others that were very helpful.
The radioshow is very entertaining. I hope its a help also.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Check out this delicious blend. ?
it is neither “all natural” nor “rich”.
it’s a shame to me that Mac Baren is even associated with Sutliff.
I tried the “vanilla custard” from a pouch at the local B&M that I would guess no newer than 5-7 years. The pouch wasn’t even sealed beyond the tape strip yet the tobacco was still sopping wet and oily. One of the worst smokes I’ve ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.