PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
So I ordered some GH & Co. Balkan Mixture - Thinking, its balkan. should be pretty good. I looked at the tobaccoreviews site and it said no flavors added. So today, I tried my first bowl of it.
why in God's name would someone add soap/perfume flavor to amazing Latakia/Oriental/Virginia tobacco???
I dont get it And now, the smell is in my beard, and I am getting worked up everytime I get a whiff of it.

what am I missing here? I will admit, I know nothing about pipe tobacco. But COME ON!!

Sorry, just needed to vent for a second.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Lakeland Essence is not for everyone but I am one that LOVES the stuff. It is SOOO unique and Old School and is something our forefathers would have smoked back in the day. Some describe it as a "Soapy" vibe and I really wish I could detect that as weird as it sounds, but for my taste I pick up Bergamot and some light floral notes. Reguardless I think it is something every piper should experience at least once to see for yourself.

Still waiting on some CONDOR and Grassmere really hope that hits the Lakeland itch. Most of the blends seem to be very lightly dusted but just enough to know its there

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I love lakeland essence. Not all day every day, but often enough.

That being said, I don’t think of Balkan Mixture as having much lakeland presence at all. The tiniest hint of fruitiness possibly, but nowhere near enough to take it out of the flavor realm of a typical english/balkan.

At least, as others have mentioned, you know that you not only don’t like it, but are apparently hyper-sensitive to it as well!

Don’t write off all GH or SG though, plenty if them have very little lakeland presence, or none at all.

Although I would have said that about Balkan Mixture, so grain of salt, etc etc.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Still waiting on some CONDOR and Grassmere really hope that hits the Lakeland itch.
I may have gotten an older stronger batch, but Grasmere is the most intensely floral Lakeland I've tried yet. Condor is sweet, dark, and delicious. #7 Broken Flake seems to be halfway between those two. Ennerdale is in the same camp as all of the above but is balanced by sweet almond and vanilla.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It’s all about expectations. If you want straight tobacco flavour, stay away from the Lakelands.

I have some #7 broken flake that is a really great vabur in the second half of the bowl once the Lakeland burns off. But if I wanted that perfume, it would be disappointing after it burned off. So no matter my mood, I don’t seem to pick it. I have to be in a mood for half perfume, half good vabur.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I doubt anything can come out of that factory without a little cross contamination of those essential oils. I personally like lakeland, but not enough to eat those old soap candies a few older coworkers have brought in.

remember a few years ago after the merger when FVF was coming out with a little hint? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.