PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's very interesting to see the varied approaches people have to collecting pipes.

I buy what interests me. Mostly it's Britwod, and of that mostly it's Family Era Barlings. They range from the 1880's to the 1970's.
In addition I collect pipes made by a few US artisans like Von Erck, Piersel, Tatum, Cannoy, and Fillenwarth.
I also have a few wax drips, some Kaywoodies ranging from the 1920's thru 1930's, and various odds and ends.
It's a pretty motley assortment, no theme other than I buy what interests me to buy.

Reactions: UncleRasta

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
My pipe "collecting" started out in a big hurry: I needed more pipes to get enough nicotine into my system after quitting cigs. I went from 5 pipes to about 40 over the last 9 months (and from about 5 oz. of tobacco to about 8 pounds). I smoke 10+ bowls a day, so I figured a rotation of 30-ish briars and bunch of cobs would do me. I had some financial constraints, so I couldn't just go completely nuts, and I bought whatever estate pipes in my budget struck me as the best bang for the buck, usually in the 20-40$ range. I also wanted to try out a range of different kinds of shapes, COM, manufacturers, etc. It took me a while to work my way up, but I've got about 15 now that I really like all around (most of those are old British, Italian and Danish pipes), and another 15 or so that are good enough smokers. I've been able to slow down now, start trading up, and ask myself what I actually want to own. I have no answer to that question yet (and don't really need one), so I guess I just have to keep trying out different kinds of pipes. For now, I prefer small, very light pipes with very thin stems and a big draw. But I suppose that could change if I get my teeth fixed.??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Started with Grabows and cobs, went artisan, then surprise commissions, and ended my collecting career with yachtsmen.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have a variety of different pipes, mostly out of initial curiosity. Everything I have acquired in the last couple of years has a bit more method to it though. Small bowls, and lightweight are important. I have a few bigger bowled pipes I can pull out for the odd occasion but anything new is small. Straight stem or only slight bend unless it is military mount for easy mid smoke cleaner.
I smoke briar, meer, clay, cob, calabash, falcon, bamboo, vulcanite, acrylic...but anything I buy now to add to the collection is generally briar and vulcanite. Oh, except for a couple of those cute little Ropp pipes that have the horn stem, I am impressed with how horn has a clench that seems firm and yet with some 'spring' to it, a very pleasant smoking experience.
Most years I only add one pipe, (for my birthday) so it is a slow and enjoyable journey discovering what I like.

Isaac

Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm intrigued by the posts at how organically pipe stables develop. Most of us don't start out with a set idea, but availability of what we can buy guides us towards brands, shapes, materials, artisan carvers, and other themes. I'm not a numbers focused guy, but I bet it would be intriguing to tote up brands, shapes, etc., to see patterns.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Great question!
I learned when I first got back into Pipes to never go cheap. Every time I decided to save a few bucks and get a lessor pipe, just to save a few bucks, when I really wanted a much nicer one, I was very sorry I did it and ended up taking it back or giving it to friends and family!
Most of my collection are Savinelli, Peterson Sherlock Holmes, Ben Wade's and a number of Artisan Pipes. Funny, I've had better luck with my Savinelli's than some of the "Artisan" Pipes... It can be quite random.

Reactions: luigi

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I learned when I first got back into Pipes to never go cheap.
Only two of these were more than $30 and only 5 were previously smoked.

You can go cheap if you know what to look for. Any pipe with a clean, unbroken airway will smoke flawlessly. Beyond that you're paying for brand name and aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.