PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Looks like I'll be headed to Eureka, Montana for a week soon and I was wondering if anyone know of someplace I can buy some tobacco while I'm there or should I take some with me?

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I've purchased tobacco from Poor Richards in Bozeman - unfortunately google says it's about a 6hr drive from Eureka. Hopefully someone can find you a B&M a little bit closer!

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Used to be a show on SciFi called Eureka about a town of that name populated by genius-level academics who worked at a secret research facility and could never keep their shit together, and the "average"-intellect Sherrif who had to fix all their mistakes. I don't recall a tobacconist, but even the guy who ran the Diner had a PhD in "Molecular Gastronomy".
Gentlemen, this was a tangent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take your own stash. Forums members are spoiled by selection on online retail, so it would be surprising to find anything unusual beyond standard pouch fare. Beautiful country that, I hear. In my roving twenties, I joined the Navy and went little too far west and ended up in the South China Sea and points east and west of that. I think I moved about nine times in nine years and didn't have a place with a kitchen until I was 29 years old, nor a car until I was 27.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
If I remember correctly, Eureka is up from Kalispell and Whitefish about 60-80 miles. Kalispell MIGHT have a place, but I wouldn't lay money on it.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been doing a little online hunting and I was able to come across this...
Tobacco River Ranch

Address: MT-37, Eureka, MT 59917

Phone:(406) 297-7778
I haven't called the number myself, so I don't know if they have any pipe products or not. It's worth a try though.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you are staying in a hotel, have a onlone retailer ship you some tobacco. Then you will not have to raid you oh so precious cellar, and will have a present waiting for you when you arrive.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you're only going for a week why not just bring some baccy with you. After all, just how much tobacco can you smoke in one week? Other than that, beautiful country.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like it might be hit and miss on a B&M in Eureka. Might want to bring a little baccy just in case. You'll be there long enough to bring some back home duty free too so hopefully you can find a place. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
A brief Google search shows a handful of smoke shop in the Eureka area but they appear to be mostly cig/e-cig oriented. The Bell Pipe and Tobacco Shop (Forum directory) looks promising but it is in Missoula Montana which is approx. 3.5 hours away. Might be worth checking out if you happen to wander in that direction. :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
You'll be there long enough to bring some back home duty free too so hopefully you can find a place.
Ah... OK, I didn't know that blueeyedogre lived outside of the U.S. as he didn't state that fact which obviously puts a different light on the whole question.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Ya, us northern fellas are always looking to bring home some less expensive duty free tobacco when we spend a little time in the US of A. It's a little easier on the wallet. :puffy:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Ya, us northern fellas are always looking to bring home some less expensive duty free tobacco when we spend a little time in the US of A. It's a little easier on the wallet. :puffy:

Exactly! I can take out of my cellar but on this vacation I'm hoping to get at least 4-5 bowls a day for a week. If I can find some tobacco down there it will save me a lot of trouble and money. I wish I knew more about OTC's and if there is a decent Virginia OTC to lookout for.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Blueeye....I always use the tobacco descriptions at P&C. You can look at all the OTC blends there, and then grab a pouch of the ones that sound good when you get to Eureka. By the way, my mom grew up in Eureka...Missouri.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Eureka, Montana is in God's country, but it is also remote. Best take your own tobacco with. You might also pack a heater, not a gun, but an honest-to-goodness heater, as it gets chilly at night.
Come to think of it, it's so remote that a gun might not be a bad idea after all! :)

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
When I've backpacked I like to take pouches. They pack between everything. (Take-down bow and a quiver full works for me.)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Drezz, I lived in the apartment on the opposite of Main st facing the l&b and Pr. I'd awake, get coffee, and hit poor Richards to get tobacco, then head back home to start the days. These were the greatest days of my life. We've chatted about Bozeman before, but never turn down an opportunity to talk about the greatest town on this planet. Miss it profoundly.

Eureka had LOTS of places named after tobacco, but no true tobacco shop that I'm aware of. Stunning area though!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hunter,
You know those "northern fellas" don't have guns. That's the thing that keeps me from taking a driving vacation up to Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.