PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I have noticed people usually dont post what they pay/paid/will pay for a pipe. Is that an etiquette issue, or are people worried about others commenting on over/under paying? Just curious.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I think its more people just don't want to or feel the need to. I'm not ashamed of the prices I pay, just don't think it adds anything to the conversation.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have included the price in a couple posts. I think unless it's like an eBay steal or other great price" there's not much point. And you are right, it could be seen as acting snobby. There's definitely a difference in saying, "check out this new Ardor I got!" And, "Hey, check out this $400 Ardor I got!"

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
screaming good deal and I don't want others to miss out, or unless it's part of the conversation/story.
+1
I sometimes share what I paid, but usually when it's a great deal off ebay, etc.
If someone pays regular retail, then it's not as critical to share since it's not too hard to find out if you're curious (though I think it's fine to share).
However, if someone gets a great deal, to me that's part of the story. I am always happy for a fellow pipe smoker who snags a good pipe at a great price.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
HoDirty, I would also like to know prices paid, so I know what to expect if I want one, what a price range should be. But Roth is right, if I want one, then I should do the research. But!! I can research anything on the Internet & it's a bunch of BS. & hopefully someone here can contribute their opinion as they are seasoned & experienced pipers, much more than I am.

Only reason to be here, to learn.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've linked an ebay auction I won a pipe off of but not to show how much I paid but to share my good fortune. It doesn't hurt to have the more knowledgable say I did well or it was a fair deal. If you want to know a price on something you can look it up real quick these days. I think giving someone a heads up about someone who makes a good product with good craftsmanship at a fair price is a great way to further the hobby. Price is a consideration to most of us so you need to have a little tact along the way.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
Like the other guys..I just don't think it adds much to a conversation. I do pay attention to the prices..cuz I do know some low priced pipes can be really good..or really bad. I like to keep my pricing within a specific range when I buy..but I don't think that the way I do my shopping pertains to anybody else. We all have our own niches to how we decide and buy...so I don't think it matters much

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I don't think price matters much, it's how the pipe performs that counts. Price ranges are important for budgeting but that's about it. Besides I got most of my pipes for a killer discount because I bought the place out so how much I personally paid is useless knowledge that doesn't help anyone. Plus prices change often so a range would be more efficient.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
And to add one more thing, I have asked opinions and Roth & others came to assist me when I really need it.

VERY thankfull for all the assistance & knowledge.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
If I don't feel I got a good deal I wouldn't have bought the pipe........ :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think it's just classier to leave price out of the conversation. It doesn't often add to the discussion for the better.
Etiquette.
Same goes for buying a house...car...Pamela Anderson's panties on Ebay...etc.

Aug 1, 2012
There are a couple reasons to mention the price. Usually if it's an amazing deal and the poster wants to give someone hope that they're still out there or if someone asks. I have no problem if somebody asks what I paid because it will give them or me a better idea of possible market value.
I have been caught on price only once on this forum when I got two of my better pipes and was asking for suggestions on which to smoke first. A reply was a poster being stupid about price and I gave the actual prices paid for both pipes to let him know he was a little off-base. He then deleted his comments and made me look like more of an arse than I usually am.
From that time forward I have pretty much left price out of it.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I usually leave price out of the conversation. The pipe is what we love. Whatever the price, if it meant enough to the person to buy it, it was worth every penny. :)

clunk

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
I posted the price i paid for a pipe once and felt like an idiot afterwards. I try not to do it because with the excessive anti smoking taxes we pay here the moment i post a price everyone in the forum would burst into a flood of tears, so i stay silent and cry on my lonesome.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The great thing about pipe smoking is that an inexpensive pipe can smoke just as well as an expensive one. So in this case price doesn't signify anything more than what someone paid for a pipe.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Depends on the reason we have purchased the pipe, if we are just keeping it the price does not matter, if it is being resold, that is quite another thing, if it was a steal, then sometimes we rub it in :) You can always ask if your curious and more than likely you'll get an answer. I have never even thought about posting the price of a pipe, it just doesn't seem to add anything to the conversation, I guess most of us know what certain pipes cost and they are so easily looked up on standard pipes.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I actually would think its a bit rude. Thats like advertising how much you paid for your car. Inevitably, it will cause a problem; trust me on this. When it comes to finances, it's no body's biz.

Status
Not open for further replies.