PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

zackdavis2001

Lurker
Mar 29, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

hey guys, i got a little problem with my pipe(simple 50 dollars briar pipe), after cleaning it with salt and alcohol (i used ethanol) is it normal that the alcohol smell won't go away? is there a way to get rid of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ofafeather
hey guys, i got a little problem with my pipe(simple 50 dollars briar pipe), after cleaning it with salt and alcohol (i used ethanol) is it normal that the alcohol smell won't go away? is there a way to get rid of it?
Burn something in it... like tobacco or something. That will drive off the smell.

zackdavis2001

Lurker
Mar 29, 2021
yeah that will go away. With time or smoking. I clean my pipes with dark liquors and I find that I get about one or two smokes where I can taste the alcohol and I find it quite enjoyable especially with blends that are the slightly bland side.
yes the taste is probably better with liquor

Reactions: anotherbob

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
yeah that will go away. With time or smoking. I clean my pipes with dark liquors and I find that I get about one or two smokes where I can taste the alcohol and I find it quite enjoyable especially with blends that are the slightly bland side.
Ok, I'm intrigued. What liquors do you use? Do you stick with clean stuff like bourbon and scotch, or can you use stuff like Chambord, sambuca, and peach schnapps? :LOL:

• Wow
Reactions: Jacob74

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ok, I'm intrigued. What liquors do you use? Do you stick with clean stuff like bourbon and scotch, or can you use stuff like Chambord, sambuca, and peach schnapps? :LOL:
80 proof minimum. Never tried using anything else. But brandy, bourbon, scotch, or any thing like that will work. Mainly I use it if a pipe has gone "sour" or just needs cleaned such as after reaming.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I use a high proof clear apricot brandy (not the sweetened goop that gets labelled as "fruit brandies" but are really liqueurs). It's too strong to be enjoyed any more than a thimble at a time and I have bottles of the stuff (how I ended up with so many is another story). Using it as pipe cleaner is a great way to reduce the inventory. ?

Reactions: BROBS